Howa 1500 initial quality and warranty claims

portlanddude

A local store has a Howa 1500 American Flag APC with scope and bipod on sale for $800. It is being sold as used because the buyer bought it but did not pass background check. The store says it will not be covered under Howa warranty because it is now used.

So my question is... am I taking a chance on this or are most Howa products reliable out of the box?
Thanks for your feedback

I've been shooting Howa 1500's in the form of Weatherby vanguards for decades. They are excellent. I have several of them rebarreled. They are excellent. I've never even heard of a legitimate issue.

On the other hand, your lgs sounds like it is packed with idiots, and while I don't know what the Howa warranty actually is, you won't be the second owner if the guy didn't pass his background check. You can get the serial number and call Howa to be sure what is actually happening, but my bet is that the Chad behind the counter has no idea what he's talking about

I will call Howa with the serial number. Thanks
Yep, when in doubt, going directly to the source is best. Howa's warranty (https://www.howausa.com/services-1-2/) addresses warranty on the original purchaser. Since the original (potential) buyer did not clear background check, he probably never had possession of the rifle and thus never had the opportunity to register the firearm with Howa. In short, whoever registers the firearm first is the original purchaser.

I'm the US you don't legally have to register an item for it to be under warranty, you may need a sales receipt from the ffl you bought it from though as proof of purchase .

I've never had any issues with firearm warranties no matter how old or what manufacture, if there is a safety issue the manufacture will most likely fix the issue under its "warranty " even if you are not the original owner.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.