howa 1500 action and trigger?

mceads

I recentley purchased a very accurate howa 300win.The salesman said it was a rem.700 action and trigger but, for other reasons since, I need a second opinion. If it is a rem.700 is adjusting the trigger something I can do?The closest gunsmith is 76 miles away.

i have a howa 1500 in a 223 and it is a tac driver shoot any round very well i tired to do my trigger and could noy get it down to where i wanted it took it to the gun smith and he got it down to a very nice 2 pounds

i would say just let the gun smith do it

yes it is based off the rem 700

Other than both the 1500 and 700 being bolt actions, they are not the same and neither are their respective triggers. The Howa trigger on my 1500 in .308 is a much better trigger than on any of my Rems. In so much that all my Remington bolt rifles carry custom triggers and the Howa retains the lowly factory trigger. I'd play with it myself. You can always take it to the smith if you can't get what you want.
db

db
Have you adjusted yours? It looks like one screw behind and one in front of the trigger.I know the Rem has three.Does the Howa not have overtravel adjustment? Thanks for the help.

The Howa 1500 has two trigger adjustment screws identified as the front trigger adjusting screw and the rear trigger adjusting screw. They can be identified by screws with locking nuts.

The front screw is for trigger pull, loosen the locking nut up and loosen the screw counterclockwise until you get the trigger pull you want and then tighten the locking nut back up. Probably won't get it below about 3 lbs.

The rear screw is for creep, loosen the back locking nut up and turn the screw clockwise a little bit and tighten the locking nut back up. If you go to far the safety won't work, not a problem just back it off a little until the safety does work. You are not going to get all the creep out of it, so you have to play with these a little bit, don't get in a hurry.

This screws should adjusted maybe an 1/8 turn at a time!

Remington Trigger Adjustment

Remington 700 trigger adjustment

The three adjustments are:
1) The trigger stop (over travel).
2) The trigger weight (pull).
3) The sear engagement.

On the front side of the trigger mechanism are two screws held in place with an epoxy coating. The top screw, nearest the barrel, is the Trigger Stop Screw. The bottom screw, furthest from the barrel, is the Trigger Weight Screw.

Remove the epoxy coating from the screws.

First set the trigger stop. Turn the Trigger Stop Screw IN 1/4 of a turn at a time. After each 1/4 turn, try the trigger. Keep doing this until the trigger will not fall. Then back the screw OUT 1/8 turn at a time until the trigger will fall again. Add 1/8 more turn OUT.

Next, set the trigger weight. Back the bottom screw OUT 1/8 turn at a time; test the trigger after each adjustment, until you're happy with the weight of pull.

Sear engagement is an optional step; there is usually very little or no creep from the factory. Proper Sear Engagement Is Critical To Safety! Make only very minor adjustments at a time. I have found that 1/32 of a turn makes a major difference. Back the screw out for less engagement.

Test for potential misfiring by pounding the butt of the rifle against the floor with the barreled action installed and the firing mechanism cocked.

Finally, give the screws and front edge of the mechanism two coats of nail polish to keep the screws from loosening.

The Howa 1500 is based off of the Mauser action, not in any way similar to a Remington 700 action neither is the trigger.

Thanks for the help from everybody.I just put it back together and it is awesome!I dont have a trigger pull gauge but it is a lot better.A very little creep but i can deal with it.Next project is to bed it if anyone can help with that.SamSpade you know this trigger!Followed your directions exactly and about 2 hours later and some pink fingernail polish on the adjustment screws,my wife only has pink,boom!No problems with the saftey either.Thanks guys.

Sincerely,
The Pink Trigger Man

I really need to get white nail polish!

I recently purchased a howa 1500 in 22-250 worked great out of the box. I adjusted the trigger per instructions above. Trigger is so much better it is crazy. Havent shot it yet. Was just wondering about the safety. I adjusted the pull until the safety would not move. Then screwed it back in until safety works fine. Should I bang it on the floor to be sure the safety works? Or should not worry about it. I know when I adjusted my rem 700 i hit it with a rubber mallet until the safety would hold. Please advise.......thanks...

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.