How worried should I be about a scratch on scope lens?

John C.

I am setting up a 30-378 which is my first long range rifle. I had someone locally offer to sell me their ATACR 5-25 and the only issue I see is that there is a tiny scratch on the large lens that is closest to the end of the barrel. It is really small (about the size of a flick of dust) and doesn't show up in pics. I cant tell it is there when looking through the scope, but it is right around the center of the glass.
My question is would this be a deal breaker for those in the know? I am willing to hold out and search for a good deal so I am not set it, but don't want a good deal to pass me by on something that MIGHT be more cosmetic than anything.
Thanks!

I had a decent scratch on my last pair of Leica geovids and it never seemed to make a difference. I was worried at first but I never was able to tell any change. I'd just make sure it's a good deal. Even try giving Nightforce a call and see how they handle that situation.

Scratches on the objective lens usually are really hard to see and have to be pretty bad to really notice imo. The ocular lens is more important but even if it had a small scratch it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if the price was right.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.