How well does the average big game hunter shoot?

I tend to do alright but I wish I could shoot farther more often, most of the time I'm stuck between 100 and 200 yards max with the occasional opportunity to stretch it out to 450 or so.

I will admit that my offhand isn't great so I do my best to avoid any kind of offhand shots.

Been shooting on public & club ranges for 6 decades & have seen most or all of stuff described above. A good indication is painted steel at ranges of 300 & more - not very many hits shown, very few on 1 MOA targets.
I believe that in Germany hunters are required to demonstrate shooting abilities to qualify for a hunting license. I would expect a requirement like that in the USA would incur anger. An argument being that getting a driver's license requires driving ability so getting a hunter's license should require shooting & game identification ability. The gun control aspect would happen should an ability test be required.
A few years ago, when shooting, this guy pulled up in truck, got out with a cased rifle, nodded to me, pulled the rifle out, pulled down bipod legs, and proceeded to hit steel at 300, 1 near middle 6-inch steel, the next 3 near middle 3-inch steel. He then said - "looks like I am ready to go" - me - "sure does, shoot a big one!"

Offhanding an 8" plate at 300 is wildly fun and challenging. Me and a friend crack up laughing at each other sometimes! We get spoiled from the concrete bench or prone!
😂

If you are close to NOLA, you have one best training grounds for shooting in the wind at Palo Alto. I've shot in a 20-5 MPH full value, that even some of the best AMU shooters did not break 190 at 6.

Last edited:
I shoot about 5600 rounds on average a year. I would say 1K+ of those are between 600-1400.

All to make that ONE shot count when it comes time.
And all these guys wonder where all the bullets go when we shoot this much lol. Cracks me up. Depending on the year and what's going I'm around the 3,000 to 4,000 range. My neighbors ask why I shoot so much. Then they see my targets at 200, 300, 550, 750, 1020 and 1,380 yards lol......."That's why"

If you are close to NOLA, you one best training ground for shooting in the wind at Palo Alto. I've shot in a 20-5 MPH full value, than even some of the best AMU shooters did not break 190 at 6.
Yes Sir!
I shoot F/TR there occasionally.
Winds can be very tricky there! Changing direction and speed often.
Got a pack of outstanding F Class shooters that attend regularly!
Really good fellas too!

And all these guys wonder where all the bullets go when we shoot this much lol. Cracks me up. Depending on the year and what's going I'm around the 3,000 to 4,000 range. My neighbors ask why I shoot so much. Then they see my targets at 200, 300, 550, 750, 1020 and 1,380 yards lol......."That's why"
I get the same reactions here.

You do have some very serious issues! memtb
Look man, I get you have a hard-on for me, but I did not address you specifically. I can only infer based on your response you took offense to what I stated. I'm sorry if it offended you. Feel free to put me on ignore if you don't like what I had to say.

I am trying to be polite.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to start off I didn't read all of the post. I think people are lazy. They want to but a custom rifle that someone else may have worked up a load and dope. Then go to the range shoot 100 yds think they are good to go. And then spend thousands of dollars on a hunt and take a 500-800 yds shoot only to wound an animal. Then not even put in the effort to track the animal and finish it off. Same goes for bow hunters. Practice makes perfect. And I have been guilty of it also, I built a 6.5 man bun took a shot on a deer and straight up missed ( I looked for blood and saw where the bullet hit) because I went off someone else's bullet drop.

The vast majority of hunters never shoot a particular rifle enough to see, or even know, what it means to have a barrel speed up, let alone shoot one out............I bet my wife wishes I was one of those guys 🤣
Sometimes when a barrel, bullets, powder, primers or whatever shows up… I say oh good I ordered that for John Doe!
She gives me a hard look! Haha!