How tough is Norma Head-Stamped 300 Win Mag Brass?

Pdvdh

Soliciting opinions from users of Norma head-stamped 300 Win Mag brass. I don't have any concern about the dimensional consistency of Norma brass. I'm concerned over how soft or tough the case heads are.

Lapua used to market 300 Win Mag brass for reloaders, but stopped offering brass for the 300 Win Mag 3-4 years ago. The Lapua head-stamped brass was high quality, tough, strong brass.

RWS offers 300 Win Mag brass that is equally tough, but is so thick that maximum powder charges must be reduced by about 3 grains compared to the Lapua brass.

So I am requesting comments from members that have used Norma head-stamped 300 Win Mag cases. Norma manufactures Weatherby head-stamped brass and it's fairly soft brass. Primer pockets expand quickly at pressures that wouldn't phase Lapua and RWS brass cases.

So are there any members using Norma 300 Win Mag brass in a position to comment on its case head toughness? Especially compared to the Lapua or RWS head-stamped 300 Win Mag brass? If not those two brands, then Federal, Winchester, or other common brands of casings.

I'd appreciate any experience-based feedback.

I recently weighed norma and lapua headstamped 300 win mag brass, and they weighed exactly the same to the tenth of a grain. My RWS 300 win mag brass is significantly heavier, which is what I am using on my 7-300 win.
I too am interested in anybody that has done side by side testing of the norma and lapua brass. I like the strength of my RWS brass, but know that I am giving up 50-100 fps with the 180 bergers. Hopefully someone with some more experience will chime in.

It seems like I have heard Broz talk about this. You may want to pm him and see if he has any insight.

Scot E.

Lapua never made the 300win brass. Norma was contracted to make it for them.

That's why camp10's Norma and Lapua brass was so similar.

There was a recent thread about it.

Thanks. I had heard that also, about Norma manufacturing the brass for Lapua. But it's possible that Lapua could have provided their own specifications to Norma, and that Norma may have made the brass to these Lapua specs. Which is why I'm looking for experienced feedback from anyone that's used the Norma headspaced 300 Win Mag brass. I'd like to confirm I'm not wasting my money on soft brass, should I purchase Norma 300 Win Mag cases.

+1 for geargrinder, even Kevin Thomas will tell you lapua never made it, Norma made it with a Lapua head stamp, I'm not even sure if Lapua makes any belted cartridges at all, I'm pretty sure they don't. Btw, RWS is stronger than any of the others, so unless your using compressed loads this just means you can have the same results with a lower powder charge, I haven't weighed any but I bet RWS is over 50 grns heavier.

, RWS is stronger than any of the others, so unless your using compressed loads this just means you can have the same results with a lower powder charge, I haven't weighed any but I bet RWS is over 50 grns heavier.

Well, I will agree in some cases, and also I never use compressed loads. But I have tested this quite a bit and in my testing I have found the significant loss of volume with the RWS definitely requires a reduced charge of 3 gr or more with heavier bullets. This is both with the 300 win and the 7mm/300 win. We have seen best velocity from the same rifles, powder and bullets with larger volume cases like WW, RP, Lapua, and Graf. The RWS is great brass and tough as nails. But I feel we are giving up a little velocity using RWS.

I was involved in the building of Camp10's rifle. It is an awesome custom 7mm/300 win that shoots lights out and I have seen him shoot it to well over a mile. The initial load with 180 Bergers was developed using RWS brass but we knew we were leaving some velocity on the table. So I had him get some Norma in hopes it would have the same volume as Lapua or WW which is what we have gotten our best velocity with. So we need to test some more, but I too feel if the Norma is soft like Wheatherby and other Norma head stamp it will loose primer pockets too quickly like Norma brass typically does.

I should also add that my 300 win Lapua brass seems to be holding up better than any Norma brass I have ever used. I have many firings on it using heavy bullets and max charges. My velocity is great too. But I have also noticed that the primer pockets are loosening in some cases. This is not usually the case with any other Lapua headstamped brass I have used. The Lapua primer pocket fit remains consistant with all the cases I have used that Lapua actually manufactured. This I am sure is due to the involvement Norma had in manufacturing the 300 win brass.

Jeff

Ihave ben using winchester brass in my .338 win with max loads for years with no problems . granted i dont think ther brass is as good as it ws in the 90s but i get 6 + loadings

Re:what is the best brass for 300 rum?

is remington the onaly maker of brass for the 300 rum . becuse the primer pockets are week in remington's

Nosler and Federal also make 300 Ultra brass, isn't really any tougher than Remington just more uniform and weight consistant.

So, to get back on track here to the OP's original question....:rolleyes:

Who is using Norma 300 WIN brass and how is it holding up??

I would like to hear from someone with first hand experience on this too.

Thanks
Jeff

Jeff I have used Norma 300wm brass in the past, as far as holding up I rate it with the older Winchester brass, it is pretty tough, best thing with Norma brass is to hit it with a light load on the first firing, say minimum charge of H1000 under a 165 or bulk 168s, then go to your normal loads, this helps to work harden the case heads so to speak. After that you should get 6-8 top end loads from them. I still use Norma brass in 257 7mm and 300wby, my weatherby hunting load for the 300 which is a 24" barreled vanguard runs 2995fps with 208 amaxs, 89.2grns H1000, fed215Ms, current brass has the 5th load in it and the primer pockets are just a little less snug than new cases. I like Norma brass, I had a bad batch of 6.5x284 brass from them that had soft case heads and wouldn't hold a primer for the 4th load, but I won't hold one incident against them. Also a lot of times Norma is more consistent in weight than Lapua on brass other than 300wm, since they're the same. Give it a try, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.