HOW TO

redbone

How to fix this?

How do you get the smell to go away after painting an stock?

When I paint a stock It takes to long for the smell to go away about a mouth or two.

So I will knot use it hunting The smell will let the coyote know where I am at.

Redbone

The easiest way to Handel this is Shoot Them Farther away before they can smell the paint.
OK to be serious use a clear coat over the paint job that is water based, they have no smell and dry completely in 24 hours. You may have to give it a fine streel wool rub to knoct off any shine.

What I did was to put the stock out in the hot sun for several days. Hang it in the sun and wind by the sling swivel stud and let it bake naturally. The smell is from vapor coming off the stock as the paint sowly hardens. The hotter you get the stock the more the paint will dry. The faster you put coats on top of coats the longer the stock will smell as the first coat is still trying to get rid of the vapors and slowly bleeds up through the top layers lots longer.

Haste makes waste. Probably be just your luck that you are the only place in the U.S. that is not in the middle of a heat wave.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.