how to use

bubba41

ok guys . i'm having a 338 edge built . and got a nightforce 5.5x22 to go with it . i'm new to this type of scope . my ? is with a 20 moa base once i have this zeroed . and use the ballistic app i have does the base add moa or not help!

If I understand your question you will gain MOA by using the 20 MOA base for sure. IN my opinion this is the only base that you will want to use. What distance are you wanting to shoot out to? With that rifle and scope distance will not be an issue in my opinion

CB

The base basically adds tO the internal adjustment of the scope. Once you're zero'ed it's basically like it's not even there. No effect on your ballistics program.b I hope that answers your question.

Don't know how many clicks(MOA) your scope has but lets asume it has 80 MOA or 320 clicks. When you mount the scope with regular mounts, generally you will be at "O" in the middle of the range and will have about 160 clicks up and 160 clicks down. Now the problem is that those 160 clicks down are wasted! You don't go below "O" when shooting. You do go up, about 22 - 24 MOA , for 1000 yards. When you want to shoot further, much farther say a mile , you may need more than 160 clicks. The 20 MOA rail or mounts raise the back of the scope and give you an additional 80 clicks of up. You lose 80 clicks of down but you weren't using it anyway. If you added 40 MOA you wouldn't have any down and all up. All scopes are different and some may work out to be above or below center with regular mounts. After mounting a scope and getting it sighted in, turn it up, counting clicks, and see what you have. I also count full range before mounting scope so I know how much there is to play with when I'm done. Some 1000 yard shooters like to have the scope set up so that 1000 yard adjustment falls right in the middle . Don't know if this helps accuracy or not . Hope this helps!!

thanks guys . with a little time at the range and my favorite shooting spot . i'll understand this gun and scope . i'll be shooting from 100 yds to a mile if possible . can you guys recommed a program that does'nt cost a mint

I think this site has a calc. Hornady,g seven, JBL is what I use, night force sells a program that is hi end and portable. Most programs want your scope height from bore, this helps with accuracy of program. You can get apps for I phone and such

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.