How to start reloading.

The ChargeMaster Combo is the simple way to get an accurate charge every time, regardless of the type of powder being dispensed. Recognize that it isn't really compatible with progressive operation.

An accuracy reloader's regimen will somewhat follow the routine below:

1. Tumble
2. De-prime, uniform primer pocket, and polish inside of case neck
3. Size
4. Clean off sizing lube
5. Measure case length. Trim and chamfer as necessary.
6. Prime
7. Dispense powder
8. Seat bullet

Compare that routine to what a progressive does. Then figure that you'll be pouring your powder charges through a funnel for every round. Unless you sacrifice a lot of detail work in favor of load production, a progressive is just in the way. For straight-necked pistol rounds, the story can be different.

Bill,
Here's a link to a thread discussing "Expectations." As you read and study about reloading, it will be a good thing to keep in mind. Anticipate your desired results. The loading process you are developing is what will produce the results. PROCESS --> RESULTS

Expectations . . . what are yours? - Benchrest Central Forums

The preparation you do now will save a lot of expense and aggravation later. You want to avoid learning the hard way.

hi bill. Sounds like your getting some good advice so far. The Number ONE THING TO DO IS READ and reread a good reloading manual until you can just about recite it and have a good understanding of what reloading safety is all about. It is best if you can find someone to talk to in person and have them show you what to do but that isn't always the easiest thing to find.

As far as getting a kit... it all depends. I started out using a Lee anaversery special kit and a set of RCBS dies. I quickly replaced the scale and upgraded lots of little tools, but I used the dispenser and press until just a couple years ago (started in '93 or so). I'm not going to go into detail about what equipment I recomend because I've done it before several times and you already have lots of great information. THere is such a thing as information overload! lol.

IMHO, you have to think about what you are trying to accomplish with your relaoding. If you are trying to save money than get the cheapest kit you can find and go for it. However If you are trying to load for accuracy and if your a perfectionist than you will need some good equipment. I love using an electronic scale to sort brass or bullets... a ballence beam takes far to much time for that. Consistancy is the name of the game (sorry for the mispelling but I'm tired and too lazy to correct everything tonight ;). You want to make every bullet as close to identical to the next as possible. When I started loading I would just seat bullets within a few hundreths of an inch from batch to batch... that lead to lots of frustration when I would sight in my rifle lol. well I digress. It is a very fun and rewarding hobby when you get over the frustrating aspects of it lol! Happy loading and load safe,
Mark.

research prices on an RCBS master reloading kit, buy it where you can find it cheapest, it contains all you need to get started loading very good ammo. before you open the box, buy 2 loading manuals. Read everything on each side of the data pages of both manuals, TWICE!
then get your setup out, and start with the 270 and the 308, they are pretty good ones to start with. you'll learn as you go if you know the basics which are outlined in the manuals. Its not hard, or super dangerous, ya just need to follow basic safety rules, and take no shortcuts.
RR

Bill,
gettin' some good advice here, especially the point that everyone seems to be in complete agreement on; read everything you can. That alone will go a long way towards making sure you get the right equipment for your needs. Lots of stuff out there, and most of it you won't need. Progressives, single stage, electronic vs. balance beam, etc., this stuff is all available because it suits someone's needs. If there were just one best answer for everything, that'd be the only tool/item on the market and we'd all use it. Take into account what you need to do for you particular reloading situation, listen to the advice or feedback from others who've used that equipment, and go from there. You'll figure out what works best for you, just fine. Start off with cartridges that have a reputation as being easy to work with first (.308, .30-06, etc), if you can, and avoid the "troublemakers" until you get some experience under your belt. Likewise, avoid loading for semiautos until you get an grasp on the process; that's advanced handloading and needs to be regarded as such. Lastly, take the time to ask questions. Bunch'a folks here who'll bend over backwards to help a new guy, no problem at all.

Hope it helps,
Kevin Thomas

i purchased my rcbs press in 1970. i suggest you get an rcbs kit; and dies for 270 and 308 and pick one handgun caliber and get some carbide dies for it . reload a little for the two rifle calibers and the one handgun caliber. then add STUfF as needed. and as you learn. roninflag

All the starter kits dont look like good equp... I must be wrong. I do see the dif in re-loading and hand-loading, great point. I can not find any loading equp. where I live, so I recon it's time to shop online, aint it great. I do like to put my hands on something befor I buy it just like anybody else. I'm not interestid in looking fancy or to impress someone, I need some thing to do that is not to physical. I am retired for medical problems, but absoloutly refuse to give up my hunting and shooting sports. I have always injoyed takeing something and making it better, ammo loading will do just fine. I think the most interesting thing I have read so far is the dif in head space between rifles. I can see where this makes a lot of dif. It sounds like such a small tweek can make such a big dif. Thank you for all the pointers guys. I'll be buying soon:D. Bill Maylor.

Run a wanted to buy add on this site , explain that you are just starting out and are looking for a heavy duty single stage press . You would be surprised how many people have 2, or more presses lined up on the bench and one under the bench in a box. Someone might want to part with one ,you never know.
I only have 2 now, a rcbs jr and a rcbs rockchucker ,just gave away a rockchucker a month ago.
I went with rcbs 50 years ago , for no particular reason.

Also learn how to use the private message part of the site it will help out if you see something in the classified if you are quick!

When you get a media separator for clearing walnut or corn (get that at the pet store in the reptile supply area), make sure it's enclosed. You don't want to be breathing that dust. Just my two bits.

Good luck and enjoy the trip down the rabbit hole. I know I have.

I'm sure since 2009 he has decided if he wants to reload or not .
Hey , sure didn't see the date on that one .
Thanks
Some times I wish the site had a filter to file posts after a certain time.
With new members joining at different times ,they don't always know that a post is that old or that the question has been asked a bunch of times , if you use the search bar and find your question, you wouldn't have the same amount of participation in current posts .
My morning rant.

My advise based on experience is make your list of items you need/want and buy individually, don't wast time with the kits. Buy good quality equipment the first time and it will last many years. Reloading is a DEEP RABBIT HOLE, and not as $$ effective as it used to be, but it is a lot of fun to do and always seems to challenge the mind.

Hey , sure didn't see the date on that one .
Thanks
Some times I wish the site had a filter to file posts after a certain time.
With new members joining at different times ,they don't always know that a post is that old or that the question has been asked a bunch of times , if you use the search bar and find your question, you wouldn't have the same amount of participation in current posts .
My morning rant.
Lol…. I didn't look at the date either. Oh well, maybe some other person just Getting into the game will read all this and it will help them out…😂