How to start an APS gun build

I'm sure he'll reply. But, He's fiftydriver on here. Kirby responds quickly to email (address in his signature). I'm sure a pm would work too. I never got him to answer the phone.

Email work best with him. he built my rifle two years ago and i still have never spoke to him over the phone all way email. he's a great guy to do business with just have to use email. what are you building?????????????

Email work best with him. he built my rifle two years ago and i still have never spoke to him over the phone all way email. he's a great guy to do business with just have to use email. what are you building?????????????

That's why I am trying to get a hold of him before I decide on something. It will be a 338 cal but I would like to know the pros and cons of his AM vs his AX. All that I am aware of is that his AM uses the 408 CheyTac parent case and his AX uses the Lapua parent case so the AM should outperform the AX but for how much more $$$ etc?

Thanks for the info.

That's why I am trying to get a hold of him before I decide on something. It will be a 338 cal but I would like to know the pros and cons of his AM vs his AX. All that I am aware of is that his AM uses the 408 CheyTac parent case and his AX uses the Lapua parent case so the AM should outperform the AX but for how much more $$$ etc?

Thanks for the info.

Before going with the 338 ax i would give some real hard looking at 338edge same perfomance but a hell of a lot ezer to load for. If your just getting into this stuff the edge is the way to go. but if you have reloaded for some time and don't mind spending the money and time to reload thin i would be looking at the big dog of the 338's the 338AM. i just can't see doing all of the extra work on a 338ax when the edge is right there with it. the only thing about the 338ax is the brass will more than likely last longer but thin again you pay for it to. so it's kind you to the person having to spend the money and do the reloading. Any of the three will do you fine for just about any thing out to 1000 but if you want the top dog the 338AM or the 375AM are the only way to look. i will be ordering my 375AM real soon. for as money goes the edge will be the cheapest to load for. i think i was told that the 338AM case that kirby has where 300.00 for 100 cases

A friend of mine has been shooting the Edge for a long time, maybe even longer than it has been accepted as the Edge. There was a gunsmith that he knows well that had a reamer built quite some time ago. I really like how it performs but the best accuracy is at about 2780 fps with the 300 gr SMK's. I want something that shoots the 300 SMK at over 3000 fps.

If brass is $3.00 a pop, I guess that's not much worse than a Lapua if it lasts a long time.

The big issue for me regarding the 338 AM was the custom receiver, stock etc. I was thinking the 338 AX could be built on a more conventional action. I guess if I wanna play I gotta pay. :D

A friend of mine has been shooting the Edge for a long time, maybe even longer than it has been accepted as the Edge. There was a gunsmith that he knows well that had a reamer built quite some time ago. I really like how it performs but the best accuracy is at about 2780 fps with the 300 gr SMK's. I want something that shoots the 300 SMK at over 3000 fps.

If brass is $3.00 a pop, I guess that's not much worse than a Lapua if it lasts a long time.

The big issue for me regarding the 338 AM was the custom receiver, stock etc. I was thinking the 338 AX could be built on a more conventional action. I guess if I wanna play I gotta pay. :D

I think Kirby is only building on custom actions now. when he built my edge he was using rem are what ever action you wanted. but the last time i talked to him he said it was to much trouble and time to get one true when you could just buy a custom for about the same money as you would have in a factory action after its been worked over by a smith. a custom action is ready to go and it would hold it value over what you would have in a trued up factory action. My edge shoots one hole groups at 100yr with 300smk @ 2919. But if you are wanting one to push over the 3000fps mark then you have made up your mind. cause there's only one that i know of that's worth the time and money over the edge and that is the 338AM it's one hell of a gun.
The action should be 1150.00+/- stock 600-700+/- barrel 500.00+/- break 250-300.00 trigger 250-300.00 plus Kirby's fees. you'll probably be around 4000-4500.00. before scope,bases,rings,dies,brass witch will be around 2000.00-2500.00 depending what you us. when i added up for my 375AM as a finished rifle ready to go i was looking at 6500.00 - 7000.00

Last edited:
Where are you at in eastern MT? I have a 338 AM if you would like to see it and shoot. I highly recommend it, if you want to shoot looong range!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.