How to spec out new rifle

adk hunter

Ok all you gunsmiths, builders and buyers!

I just saw a thread from a guy who was surprised when he got his rifle back. So what say you to the process that most often gives the correct info from the customer to the builder? I have written specifications for projects that I know about in my trade but have had a few close calls when building a rifle. What is the important lingo? Anything to help get us all where we want to be. Thanks in advance! I think this could help a lot of guys...

Joe

Barrel maker, twist and contour come to mind, as does throat. A dummy round is always preferred. Contour and throating being the biggest concerns. Action truing, what is involved, is another. Stock, if the 'smith is working from a blank, synthetic or wood. A 'smith can't be a mind reader, nor should he have to make a dozen calls for clairification. Good communication before the work begins should be the rule. Both have an option that way.

It's pretty simple and easy to make a spec sheet check list. It should cover all of the variables for each build. It can be e-mailed or snail mailed to a client so they have a copy to work with before any telephone calls. Generally the gunsmith will reiterate the choices to the client before starting work.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.