How to remove stuck ejector?

Jeffpatton00

I have a 224 Valkyrie, fairly new with perhaps 100 rounds through it, and the ejector pin is stuck flush with the bolt face. The extractor works fine but the cases are not ejecting.

I removed the roll pin but the ejector isn't coming out. I have it sitting vertically, with some liquid wrench on the ejector, but so far no joy. Does anyone have any tips on how to get the thing out? I'm hoping for some wisdom on this.
Jeff

Perhaps some info on what you have will get you some help. Is this an AR? A bolt action? If bolt, what model rifle? Seems like disassembling the bolt will help you sort the issue and a YouTube search might get you on track in that regard. I'm guessing a broken ejector spring or a piece of debris in the ejector plunger hole.

I had that happen to me on a savage 22-250 once the pin is removed try pushing the ejector in a bit it is most likely bent slightly if it moves your in luck.. by getting it to move a bit you may be able to pry it forward through the pin hole. It could also be slightly mushroomed. working it back and forth till it comes out.

Perhaps some info on what you have will get you some help. Is this an AR? A bolt action? If bolt, what model rifle? Seems like disassembling the bolt will help you sort the issue and a YouTube search might get you on track in that regard. I'm guessing a broken ejector spring or a piece of debris in the ejector plunger hole.
This is a semi-auto I had built for me, so the bolt is a 224 Valkyrie, which I guess is also a 6.8 SPC bolt.

Never had that one happen...
Doesn't sound like enough rounds for it to be "carboned up" (assuming it's DI and not piston)- but I'd try to get some Carb-Out or other carbon remover in there.
Put it in a box lying in some rags so when it pops free...

If all else fails, a bit of judicious heat couldn't hurt.

Put the bolt nose in a jar of CLR, it will be out, and probably out of the jar, in no time.
I would put a shop rag in the bottom of the jar prior to sitting the bolt in there.
In future, use a powder that is less dirty, or soak that bolt in carbon solvent regularly.
Carb cleaner works very well and CLR is a last resort due to it being very aggressive.

Cheers.

As a police Armorer Had some weird things to happen to Extractor plunger springs, And Clip latch plunger springs on S&W pistols. If some way, Some Coca-Cola gets down in the hole with the plunger and spring. It will make a mess.
Pulled several Brown gobs out of plunger holes with a Brown Goo mixed with Brown Rust.
If the officer told me soda was involved in pistol malfunction, I found hot water was better than penetrating oil to get things free. Used a hook made of a piece of .011 music wire to remove the problem, Once I got the plunger out.

On a savage bolt head the result of a blown primer was a stuck ejector. I made a handle from a piece of 3/4" pvc conduit to serve as a hammer handle. The conduit was drilled for the bolt head stem to fit and a piece of nulon zip tie was used as a retainer to keep the bolt head attached to the conduit handle. A soaking in Kroil along with swift blows against a hard surface got the plunger moving and eventually the end could be grabbed with needlenosed pliers.

Kroil just didn't do it for me so I finally put the bolt in my mill's vise and started to drill the ejector pin out - it began spinning then released itself, so I got no further than making a slight mark on the center of the ejector. Removed the ejector, cleaned it and the hole up, and saw no reason it was stuck - cleaned and lubed, it works fine now. Go figure. I have a new pin and spring coming from Brownells tomorrow so I'll have a backup that I'll probably never need.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.