How to remove a stuck live round safely

J E Custom

Another Video that might help If someone has the tools and skill.

I have used this method to test High pressure and low pressure vessels and in a few cases , a stuck live round.
This pressure is below the barrel yield strength and there fore will not damage it.

I slightly modified it by using water instead of grease (Water is non compressible and is easier to fill and remove the air) It is also a lot less messy. I also like the straight Zerk fitting to minimize threaded connections that can leak

I fill the barrel and the grease gun and evacuate as much air as possible and if the primer pops out first,no problem, The ignition source is gone and the powder is wet and safe.

Maybe this will save someone from a catastrophe.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Thank you Jerry for another great, informative post :) Using water instead of grease sure makes sense also. 🍻
I read where someone used a piece of hose, clamps & a pressure washer to do the same thing. Would be interesting to try. I imagine it was some high pressure hose & real good hose clamps. Double clamping may be wise.

I did something like that a very long time ago. Oil a softer piece of plastic material cut to just under bore sizes (25/06). Put oil in and plastic piece in and use a rod on top of that. Hit the rod with a hammer. that got it out. What JE Custom did look a lot safer. The only thing is you need a threaded barrel end.
We lost a great men there!

I did something like that a very long time ago. Oil a softer piece of plastic material cut to just under bore sizes (25/06). Put oil in and plastic piece in and use a rod on top of that. Hit the rod with a hammer. that got it out. What JE Custom did look a lot safer. The only thing is you need a threaded barrel end.
We lost a great men there!
Yes we did

Why wouldnt sitting the action in a container of say WD40, fill the barrel also, then just sit the whole thing in a safe spot for a period of time be a safer method.?
The grease isn't for lubrication. It's a fairly safe way to put a lot of pressure in the barrel. You could do the same thing with water or any other incompressible liquid. It's just easy to do with a grease gun since the fittings are wildly available, a lot of people have grease guns on hand, and grease guns are designed to pump with a good amount of pressure.

Did you ever remove a pilot bearing with grease while doing a clutch job ? Pretty much the same concept,
Yep, just take a wood dowel that's near bore diameter and about 3 inches longer than the barrel, wrap on teflon tape til it's near groove diameter. Pump any clean bearing grease in barrel so ya got little column of grease couple inches tall. Chase that grease down til meets hydraulic stop, then tap lightly on the dowel with a small ball peen hammer, bingo she'll drop out. Even 90 gear oil works fine too.

Another Video that might help If someone has the tools and skill.

I have used this method to test High pressure and low pressure vessels and in a few cases , a stuck live round.
This pressure is below the barrel yield strength and there fore will not damage it.

I slightly modified it by using water instead of grease (Water is non compressible and is easier to fill and remove the air) It is also a lot less messy. I also like the straight Zerk fitting to minimize threaded connections that can leak

I fill the barrel and the grease gun and evacuate as much air as possible and if the primer pops out first,no problem, The ignition source is gone and the powder is wet and safe.

Maybe this will save someone from a catastrophe.

J E CUSTOM

Great video!