How to Prove you Owned "High Capacity" Magazines?

Measure 114 seems highly unconstitutional for Oregon but if it's voted on by the people, this isn't looking good.

Last edited:
We're having a discussion elsewhere about how to prove you owned "High Capacity" magazines prior to Measure 114's passage, if it ends up passing. I have some thoughts, but I'd like to hear some other brilliant ideas.
I've already thought or heard about taking them to your lawyer and having an affidavit filled out and signed by witnesses. I wonder about how solid the proof would be if you just uploaded photos of them here or to some other forum, where the upload date and time are recorded, or maybe just to any cloud server?
Stencil " 1971" on all your mags! ? 😉

Colorado has a 15 round limit, that went into effect several years ago, anything higher is "high capacity." The ban here does "grandfather" in magazines purchased prior to July 1, 2013. You don't have to prove anything- it's the burden of the prosecution to prove you bought them after the ban. It was this genius piece of legislation that sent Magpul and all of its jobs out of Colorado and handed them to Wyoming. I'm not sure what state the OP is asking about, but if he is in Colorado, the law here is 18-12-302 in Colorado Revised Statutes.

I saw the writing on the wall in Washington state and moved to Montana. I figure if it worked for Magpul, it might work for me.

If I still lived in an anti-freedom state, I would be keeping my information private and waiting for the current supreme court to reinstate at least a portion of my rights. I think you'll have a lot better odds with the supreme court maybe doing something positive than with liberals not pushing what they consider common sense measures that have no impact on crime. Washington state passed a series of progressively more infringing measures that had no statistical impact on crime, which of course was used to justify the need for even greater infringement.

We're having a discussion elsewhere about how to prove you owned "High Capacity" magazines prior to Measure 114's passage,
In the United States, it is the Government's responsibility to prove guilt.
The onus is on them to prove you did NOT own them prior to the ban. (And yes, I understand you are trying to head off any potential issues.)

I live in Oregon. With lots of high capacity magazines for my rifles and pistols. On many of them I do not see a date stamp.
When I lived in CA, it became a felony to own hi-cap mags over 10 rounds. I spent a whole day back then installing limiters to remain legal. If the libtards here vote this in, I'm not sure what I will do. I would hate to spend thousands of dollars defending my rights to own previously purchased mags.

We're having a discussion elsewhere about how to prove you owned "High Capacity" magazines prior to Measure 114's passage, if it ends up passing. I have some thoughts, but I'd like to hear some other brilliant ideas.
I've already thought or heard about taking them to your lawyer and having an affidavit filled out and signed by witnesses. I wonder about how solid the proof would be if you just uploaded photos of them here or to some other forum, where the upload date and time are recorded, or maybe just to any cloud server?
You have heard about "innocent until proven guilty"?

That said, proactive measures might save you some grief later. Try: deposition of witnesses (video & affidavits), make copies, have the lawyer keep a sealed copy in a safe place.

But, asking a lawyer would certainly be better than asking us!

FYI - Ohio has a ban against selling a firearm with high capacity magazines. It is perfectly legal to buy a high capacity magazine alone. I have never heard f this being challenged.

I live in the communist anti-freedom state of Washington (until the last one graduates). I would look at the wording in the bill that is going to be law. Here in Washington they have made it illegal to "purchase" high capacity mags. But they, in their extreme wisdom, didn't say it was illegal to own them… so we can keep the ones we own now. And there is no way to tell if someone went to another state and purchased high capacity mags. In my opinion rendering the law useless, cause there's no way to prove when or how the mag was purchased. I have yet to see a time stamp on a mag.

The state has to prove that you acquired the mags after the measure becomes law. It's not your duty to prove that you owned them prior to the law going into effect. The state must prove their case.

But then again you're dealing with democrats. Since when do they obey the law? Maybe a 120 man SWAT team will bang on your door at 5am someday.

In the past what I have done to document intellectual property is hard copy photos and printer copies and USPS certified mail it to yourself. Which will have document numbers and data on the package. It must be signed for by you when received. Now, as long as you do not goof up and open it on your own, it is the date certified. If questions come up, then the letter/package is inspected and opened in the presence of others.

This had caused a couple of disagreements to stop, DRT.