How To Pick a Powder???

I'm sure I'm over simplifying this thought process, but I thought that barrel harmonics is what this game is all about.

For example...if 3025 fps was your best group it would be very close to that regardless which powder you used. I know the bullet will change things more, but i was thinking the ignition and the bullet exiting at the muzzle at the right second was the key.

Sometimes but some powders because of burn rate will offer horrible sd and es on velocity.
I use 7828 in my 257 and 300 wby, works great very consistent velocity spread. I would try that powder or else h1000. Lots of guys swear by that powder for 300wm

1st... get it into your head that there's no shortcut to this process.Otherwise you are going to find yourself going over the same ground again and again actually costing you a lot more money in the long run. The fastest load isn't necessarily the accurate one so why be concerned so much about speed. Have you done a "ladder test" on your rifles? I have on my 2 guns. . I choose the slower of the 2 harmonic nodules I get the best accurate results from . I use Hodgdon BLC-2 for my .308 Wilson Combat Super Sniper AR and Hodgdon 4831SC for my .300 WinMag. There's still plenty of killing energy out to 1400 yds for both. And the bullets go where I want them to with 00.025 MOA each.

I do too OM...not reloading data all list the pressures.

Two of the calibers are built on mauser actions. The 300wm does have a Mark X bolt in a VZ-24 BRNO action and the other in a fairly new 98 mauser 1957 Colombian action with a Spanish mauser bolt that had never had a barrel in it. So I do look at chamber pressure to some degree.

Dusty when I first strated loading for my 6.5-06 that was the site I used to get load info from.

Thanks...I had lost track of it.

Hey CaptnC, hope all is well down Sargent way. I have loaded all but the 6.5-06 for friends, we used Norma MRP (I had a big can of it from the Willy Clinton days) with excellent results. Plus it's good for 7Mag, 300H&H, and 300Norma. Here is a link:
https://www.norma.cc/en/Ammunition-Academy/Loading-Data/

We used to do alot of fishing out of Mitchell's Cut.

Last edited:
C22, I have not seen it since the hurricane but have been told it's only about 6" deep at the breakers...

Thanks for the heads up on the powder!

FWIW I get great results out of 57 gr RL16 in 30-06 pushing 150 Accubond. 2911 fps and 0.3+ moa. Its slower than H4350 and substantially more temp stable. It requires a WLRM primer for me. WLR leaves a mess in the bore.

I also use RL16 in 300 WSM. Still in load development but 62.5 gr is pushing 180 Scirocco II 2923 fps and 0.4 moa. I NEED it to be faster and hope to get there. Book max load is 64 gr.

That said, I have some RL23 as a backup plan or heavier bullets for the WSM and Retumbo for 264 Win Mag.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.