How to lock the lock ring??

I agree with those advocating lock rings replacement. I now use Forster Cross Bolt Die Locking Rings or the Hornaday ones. I prefer the locking rings that are "split" type. I still have some RCBS dies with the old configuration rings but since I'm not changing the position. I am leaving the as is.

Another fan of the Hornady lock rings. I started off with the Lock n Load kit and have always used them due to the design. I never wanted a set screw digging into the threads.

RCBS only sends the brass screws now. When I talked with customer service I asked for a steel screw and a lead bb, and they told me they don't do that anymore.
How about backing off the existing set screw enough to fit a lead bb in there?

I'm wondering how to securely lock the lock rings on my RCBS dies?? It's frustrating when the lock ring hasn't held its position when I reinsert my RCBS FL sizing die in my press. My rings have brass hex head set screws, and I tighten them as tight as possible with the hex wrench provided. I don't even know if blue Loctite would help.
Replace the set screw (also called Grub Screw) lock rings with cross bolt lock rings. Sinclair, Hornady, Forster are some cross bolt lock rings I know of.
Hornady's have flats for use with a wrench, Forster are aluminum, and the newer batches have markings to indicate 0.002" movement, my favorite replacement cross bolt lock rings are Sinclair.

I'm wondering how to securely lock the lock rings on my RCBS dies?? It's frustrating when the lock ring hasn't held its position when I reinsert my RCBS FL sizing die in my press. My rings have brass hex head set screws, and I tighten them as tight as possible with the hex wrench provided. I don't even know if blue Loctite would help.
You might try some lapping compound on the die threads and progressively tightening the set screw to engrave the brass plug

I agree with all those who recommended replacing the RCBS rings with Hornady. They lock and hold and also loosen easily in case you want to move the die up or down a little.

The easy fix for RCBS lock rings is to purchase steel grub screws, place a #2 lead shot in the hole and screw the grub screw home….tight.
The lead shot stops the screw touching the threads on the die and the lock ring will NEVER move again.
Tip: to loosen the grip of the lead shot, undo the grub screw half a turn and whack the lock ring on your bench or use a soft hammer and the lock ring will turn freely.

Cheers.
This is what I do. The RCBS lock rings are fine, just not the screw.

Toss the brass screw never to be used again.

I agree with those advocating lock rings replacement. I now use Forster Cross Bolt Die Locking Rings or the Hornaday ones. I prefer the locking rings that are "split" type. I still have some RCBS dies with the old configuration rings but since I'm not changing the position. I am leaving the as is.s
I've been trying to leave them "as is," but they wouldn't hold their position.
So I'll use a small piece of fishing lead shot while awaiting my HORNADY lock rings.

Hornady does make a great ring and they have a flat on them so if you need to use an adjustable your good to go.

Hornady does make a great ring and they have a flat on them so if you need to use an adjustable your good to go.
Doesn't work on a turret press…..you need a hex wrench as sold by RCBS to fit over the die and engages the lock ring to either tighten or loosen the die.
After installing lead shot and a steel grub screw, I can put 100lbs/ft on a lock ring and it never slips on the die…win win.

Cheers.

Doesn't work on a turret press…..you need a hex wrench as sold by RCBS to fit over the die and engages the lock ring to either tighten or loosen the die.
After installing lead shot and a steel grub screw, I can put 100lbs/ft on a lock ring and it never slips on the die…win win.

Cheers.
I have mine on a turret press without any issues. I have a couple of their wrenches, though.

Hornady die wrench 1 of 2.jpg

Hornady die wrench 2 of 2.jpg