How to know what powder is used in a manufactured cartridge

and for the record, the powders we buy off the shelf are NOT the same lot to lot. just close enough to not break things.
and yes you can make and sell ammo without buying bulk powder and primers. it just takes a ffl lic either ammo or mfg .

Hi,

I own a silenced Marlin 336 XLR .30-30 Win which I shoot with subsonic ammo (Sologne Klassic Subsonic .30-30 Win 170 gr).

The problem is, I live in France and here there is only one manufacturer (Sologne) making and selling this ammo (and they sell it to resellers only). Because of this, it is sometimes hard to find these ammunitions and it is EXPENSIVE: 70€ (75$) for a box of 20.

If I was handloading/reloading, I could easily divide the cost by 2 or even 3.

I already know the bullet they use (Hornady Interlock FP 170 gr). I can know how much powder they use by opening a bullet and weighting the powder.

The only thing I need to know is the type of powder they use. Do you have any tip on how to identify the type of powder used in a cartridge?

Thanks!
Tough without a chronograph. Duplicating speed is the only answer I can offer. You mention "silenced". How are suppressors treated in France? What part of France are you from? I used to work for a company in Fillinges.

Hi,

I own a silenced Marlin 336 XLR .30-30 Win which I shoot with subsonic ammo (Sologne Klassic Subsonic .30-30 Win 170 gr).

The problem is, I live in France and here there is only one manufacturer (Sologne) making and selling this ammo (and they sell it to resellers only). Because of this, it is sometimes hard to find these ammunitions and it is EXPENSIVE: 70€ (75$) for a box of 20.

I already know the bullet they use (Hornady Interlock FP 170 gr). I can know how much powder they use by opening a bullet and weighting the powder.

The only thing I need to know is the type of powder they use. Do you have any tip on how to identify the type of powder used in a cartridge?

Thanks!

Why complicate it unnecessarily.

Hi,

Thanks!
I would try find load data for subs in the 30-30. There is always one reason I would never care to know the powder used or the charge in a factory case, and that is because mfr's may use flame retardent in their powders.

ne more reason to be careful to what you listen to on the internet!
***!
I would try find load data for subs in the 30-30. There is always one reason I would never care to know the powder used or the charge in a factory case, and that is because mfr's may use flame retardent in their powders.

Hi,

Thanks!
trail boss is what a lot of people are using in sub sonic 308 loads see if you can find something comparable where you are at. David

Scatshooter,
Any day that I have to endure your sarcastic, know-it-all attitude is a bad day. GFY!

You're real good at shoveling BS to guys that ask technical questions, aren't you.

BullPoo%20-%20full%20size%20-%20small%20frame_zpswkj6rii1.jpg

Compared to your total lack of knowledge, everyone is a know it all.

Good to see y'all are getting along well.

Gawpp I have pulled plenty of bullets from factory ammo and with batches and everything else the best you can do is guess.

You need to know velocity you get from the factory ammo. Once you know that you can look at all the data you can find. If the powder is spherical that limits options the powder charge as well can limit options as well some powders are different colors and have different coatings. The more items or stats you can identify the more educated your guess is going to be.

I am not sure who solonge is but knowing who owns that company at what additional companies they own can limit options as well. The ammo business is a small world of companies buying other companies to make their products more competitive. Just look at Federal and the ammunition their putting out in our country

You could easily make an educated guess which powder it is or an extremely close proximity to it with enough data points.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all

Scatshooter, you're so cute and the picture of you does you justice.

You'll notice that I edited my original post in order to correct my mistake of saying "cannister" instead of "Non-cannister". Of course someone, like you, who has never made a mistake or, mis-spoke, would not understand. I re-iterate edited

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts