How to Hunt Antelope at long Range

First, rangefinding is difficult and you will need a first class rangefinder and it will need to be steadied with some type of stick or tripod.
We've already been checking out different rangefinders. A few guys I shoot with have top end leups and whatnot, but they start to lack when it gets out around 600 yards. Especially when trying to range anything smaller then a mountain ;)

Second will be a good windmeter.
Figruing on picking up a kestrel this summer. This is why I'm not planning on doing it this season, need time to get used to the gear. Went out with the gun I might use (GAP 7WSM 7.5 contour Broughton 1:9) today in 25mph sustained wind, gusting to 30+. We were shoting at 300 yards. Did better then I thought I would. .22-250 was hanging as well. Might have a friend slap together a .300 Dakota to do this with.

So my advice to you is to only hunt on the calm days.
Calm days... thats a laugh :D

Third, an antelope at 1K is a 1.0 MOA target. This requires an accurate rifle with good glass. A fast muzzle velocity with a very high BC bullet is just very helpful.
I'm torn between the .30 cal or the 7mm bullet for this project.

Fourth, there is a certain skill level required. This is accomplished by practice and not just with a rifle at a range but practice in the whole hunting setup including making a first round cold bore shot.
Again, this is why I'm hoping by the end of next season I will have the skill to pull it off.

Finally, you should understand that you may miss or make a less than wonderful hit. Things go wrong on occasion at short and at long range and that is just the way it is.
There are a lot of things that can go wrong in 100 yards, let along 10x that.

Once again, welcome and I look forward to watching your progress toward your goal.
Thank you for the welcome, I can't wait to start the progression on this.

Its basically find antelope, find out rangefinder wont range them, find out rifle scope is set wrong for the distance, then find out the fence they leaped is on a ranch you dont have permission for, then wait til you find out they arent coming back.

But its a dang lotta fun. Would be more fun if I had a hunt pard.

In 4 or 5 days I should have a NM pronghorn on the ground.
If all goes as planned it will be a long kill.

Antelopehunting-2.jpg

2003 antelope season (that's me 2nd left and oldest son 2nd right). Two other antelopes were harvested but did not make to the picture.

DSC00801.jpg

My 2007 16" buck.

4cd57a81.jpg

As mounted.

All were harvested in Cascade, MT

Last edited:
Bumping this thread. Leaving in 43 days for my first Antelope hunt! Wyoming here I come!!!:) Thanks to all for the great info I've gotten here! :D

I really enjoy antelope hunting every year as well. Don't pass up hunting in western South Dakota. You can get an any and doe tag for about $250 or two doe tags for less than $100 as a non-resident. There's still two more drawings for this year. I think it's 8/31 and 9/13. Could be wrong on the dates. There are a lot of public and walk-in areas in Units 15B and 49A. Also SD GF&P has the entire 2010 hunting atlas available as a GPS download for free, We have two seasons. First one this year is October 2nd to the 10th and the second one is October 9th to the 17th. FYI

Bob

Our first South Dakota season opened Saturday. 4 of us had double tags. We had 7 antelope on the ground by 8:30. We got the 8th one that afternoon. They are really thick this year. Our second season opens next Saturday. There are still tags available for the second season. I just bought 2 more tags for $25. I took this little guy just after first light from the top of the hay stack just over my left shoulder, 477 yards. .260AI 140gr A-Max at 2918 fps. Dropped at the shot and never moved.

2010Antelope-477yards.jpg

Last edited:
Got my first antelope this year. 14" in north east Montana. I am partner in camp there. Our neighbor and friend helped me, I used his rifle 7mm WST and he set the scope. 490 yards....I am from Mississippi, the only place you could shoot 490 yards is on the interstate. LOL 61 years old and hooked on LR hunting.

this is a very good read in my opinion. i am especially thankful to buffalobob
for his frankness on the subject of long shooting.
wind drift and hits on wrong animals is a reality rarly talked about even in private conversations.

to date i have taken 3 buck antelope. the first about 20 years ago near huellete wy.
it was a 14 1/2 incher, and was taken at about 100 yds with a 7 rem mag.

this year i took an extended trip west in my pickup camper and towed my bright yellow jeep.
i had an antelope permit for s.e. montana.

i had decided prior to the trip to stop in gillette wy. and meet ernie bishop, long range pistol guru, and chuck macintosh of mac's gunworks in gillette.

that decision turned out to be the hilite of the trip.
what i thought would be an hour or 2 visit, turned out to last 4 days.
both ernie and chuck are about as friendly guys you will ever meet.
chuck suggested i hang around for a few days till the antelope season opened.
he took me to town and got me a leftover tag for that area.
a couple days later he put me on a nice buck which i killed at 290 yds.
that evening we had the backstraps for dinner at his house.
i had shot at the same buck at almost 500 yds but even with my 6.5 wsm
i didnt hold enough for wind.
a few weeks later i shot another nice buck at 410 yds on a private ranch near
brodus mt.
while there i spent 5 days hunting prairie dogs.
one day on a remote area of the ranch hunting a dog town i had a unique experience.
i was sitting at my bench next to my bright yellow jeep on a small hill looking downward into a large dog town.
suddenly i noticed a movement off to my left.
over a hill at about 1000 yds came a herd of antelope. i counted them twice and there were 40 of them.
they came to within 400 yds before stopping. they just milled around there for about an hour. some even layed down.
not at all concerned about me or the jeep.
i finally ran them off by shooting at a prairie dog.
probably as bob said, private land was the key here.

i have shot 2 antelope 13.5 and 14.5 with a 30-06 165gr both under 2 hundred yards. there a lot of fun to hunt i also hunted them with a bow and arrow and decoy home made. 4 shots and 4 clean misses in 4 days it takes about 5 years to get a draw in Alberta so you don't get to hunt these animals very often but it is great fun .:D

Im trying to plan a trip for a friend and myself for nest years season. My question is how do you go about deciding what area to apply for and which private land to try and get permission for? Also is it possible to get a buck and doe tags? any other info is greatly appreciated!!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.