How to harden schools.

From one of the most humble, knowledgeable, and incredibly capable gentleman I know, Jimmy Graham of Able Shepherd. Check out his presentation at the Western Conservative Summit from last year. The whole 19 minutes is well worth your time, but the specific topics relating to hardening schools, or at least his view of a hardened school starts around the 10 minute mark.

From one of the most humble, knowledgeable, and incredibly capable gentleman I know, Jimmy Graham of Able Shepherd. Check out his presentation at the Western Conservative Summit from last year. The whole 19 minutes is well worth your time, but the specific topics relating to hardening schools, or at least his view of a hardened school starts around the 10 minute mark.

I like his idea. Working at the school would be tough because then all the parents would have to have the same employer or employers. But the playground being in the center of the school is a major plus.

I mentioned it earlier my years in high school late 70s early 80s shotguns and rifles in the back window of nearly every pick up and a buck 110 in my pocket every single day
I think the point that the police officer was making at my handgun class back in 1985 was that it was the law. He pointed it out because kids were going to school and leaving their shotguns and rifles in the back windows of their trucks in the parking lot for all to see. He was stating that what they were doing was illegal even though no one was enforcing the law. I think he was also warning us not to do it on campus because he enforced the law.

I think the point that the police officer was making at my handgun class back in 1985 was that it was the law. He pointed it out because kids were going to school and leaving their shotguns and rifles in the back windows of their trucks in the parking lot for all to see. He was stating that what they were doing was illegal even though no one was enforcing the law. I think he was also warning us not to do it on campus because he enforced the law.
I don't know if Tennessee had its own gun laws having to do with schools but until the 1990 gun bill that stipulated laws about schools there were no federal laws restricting guns at school. Police officers are known for not knowing their own laws sometimes.

If faculty is aloud to carry then they need to be trained and certified. They should have to do active shooter drills on a regular basis and be recertified at the beginning of each school year. I don't know what the deal is but someone needs to design a holster that does not require the user to remove their firearm when they go use the bathroom. Someone was fired last month for leaving their firearm in the children's bathroom. This apparently is not an uncommon event. Teachers as well as off duty police officers have left their firearm in the children's bathroom.
I carry everywhere and my pistol stays in my right front pocket, so no need to take it off to use the bathroom. My congregation knows I carry and they are appreciative. My hope is to have it but never need it.

That would be nice but here's the issue with Uvlade. Those doors were normally locked and closed. Monitoring cameras are of little use if protocols are broken and doors left open. The parents reported that the doors were normally locked and closed. And on that day they were unlocked and propped open. Someone had to break that protocol. I'd be surprised if the investigation didn't uncover who ordered or allowed that. But there is no public report on who or why.
That person will be haunted for the rest of their life! You can take that to the bank!

This attacker would have driven their car through the front doors to get in!

Notice how that person was clearing rooms as he/she traveled through the building.

Last edited:
I've got to stop watching Fox News or any news for that matter. I've been recovering inside the house this week, and it has overloaded my brain and depressed me. I digress…. All the Dems are just looking to ban "Assault Rifles" and won't even consider anything that is put forward by Republicans. Armed security and hardening schools are the only things that will reduce these issues. God help us.

I've got to stop watching Fox News or any news for that matter. I've been recovering inside the house this week, and it has overloaded my brain and depressed me. I digress…. All the Dems are just looking to ban "Assault Rifles" and won't even consider anything that is put forward by Republicans. Armed security and hardening schools are the only things that will reduce these issues. God help us.
Yeah it's best to stay off the news and social media for that matter. I've been on here far too much. I should step back for awhile.

I wanted to start this thread because of the recent tragedy. Hopefully we can keep this thread respectful and without the vitriol that is all too common today. I won't respond to all, or most of the posts because I worked in schools so this disturbs me, I have to protect my own mental well being. My purpose is to keep threads that are for prayers focused on that much needed support. This thread will be to look for solutions to keep the children and staff safe.
My suggestions:
1) Have locked, secure doors. A truly locked and secure door goes a long way to keeping the shooter out. A door or window that is easily breached is not secure. If the shooter can't get inside that will go a LONG way to stopping them.

2) Have clearly marked floors that show line of sight. These give students the awareness to hide from the shooter outside. If the shooter can't get clear line of sight that'll go a LONG way to stopping them from targeting the victims.

3) Have security whether it's RSO's, private, or voluntary armed trained staff. When I worked at the schools I needed to do a background check so that screens out a lot of people. In the past I trained both civilians and LEO. IMO there isn't a viable reason why a teacher, instructional aide, janitor or anyone that wants to protect the children couldn't do so with proper training and game plan.
Just ask and look at Israel.

I went to high school in Florida, and there were no laws against it when I was in high school. My mother retired from the sheriffs office. I'm sure if it was illegal I would've heard about it.

If you find a school board or admin that would be willing to do that then there would most likely be armed staff. The hard part is finding school boards willing to do that.
My kid's school has multiple armed staff, who is armed and where they are located is not announced or known except by superintendent. I know I sleep a lot better knowing this. God bless Missouri! If banks have armed guards than all schools in the country should as well!

I don't know if Tennessee had its own gun laws having to do with schools but until the 1990 gun bill that stipulated laws about schools there were no federal laws restricting guns at school. Police officers are known for not knowing their own laws sometimes.
Tennessee had its own gun laws which is why I assumed school campuses were always gun free zones. When I bought my first handgun back in the 80's, there was a 5 day waiting period. It was not just to run a background check but it was also considered a cooling off period in case you were buying the firearm to kill someone. I thought the instant background check was great but some were concerned about losing the cooling off period.

Last edited:
The 5 day cooling off period was ridiculous, we shouldn't have restrictions on our rights. I wonder how many battered women have tried to get a gun to protect themselves and get hurt or murdered while waiting the 5 days?
I understand trying to do something to reduce crime but law abiding citizens shouldn't be punished because of the criminals actions.