How to harden schools.

So here's one of the reasons why I see this problem won't get fixed. I read in the Uvalde Rob Elementary School that the doors were unlocked and propped open. The parents reported this. As far as I can tell this was done so parents and students could easily come and go to pick up awards that the student had won. And yet there aren't many reports on this. And the principal wasn't brought under public scrutiny for this. She was placed under suspension, then re-instated. Later she was placed in a different position within the school district. No public questioning on why the doors were propped open and unlocked that day. https://abcnews.go.com/US/ulvade-el...istrict-administrative-post/story?id=88043965

IMO open carry makes people an easy target for predators. Predators size up people as part of their profession. Showing them that you have a weapon gives them the advantage IMO. Just my to cents from the peanut gallery.
To me, open carry means you are the first to be dead.

Public schools are a nightmare of crime and abuse to the teachers and staff. Teachers send students to the office for discipline, the office sends them back to the teacher. Fights break out and the teacher is best not to get involved, just call LEO.

The retired teachers I know say that a teacher carrying a gun is a no no. The reason is that children should not be in an environment where they do not feel safe. Many children do not get fed at home and there are no parents, just adult children. Also, the teachers union is made up of extreme liberals, they put on the blinders that there is no evil in the world and you should not remind them or the kids that Evil exists. Liberal teachers are NOT going to arm themselves. The Evil to the Liberals is that guns exist.

I don't know if taxpayers are willing to foot the bill for school safety with inflation and rising taxes killing family budgets.

A secure building with steel doors(inside and outside) is a good start, and it is going to cost two fortunes.

As xsn10s mentioned, the parents are going to have to get involved with the schools boards and actually learn what is going on in class. Parents should have the ability to "audit" or attend school with their child in the class rooms, wouldn't that be revolutionary!

Last edited:
So here's one of the reasons why I see this problem won't get fixed. I read in the Uvalde Rob Elementary School that the doors were unlocked and propped open. The parents reported this. As far as I can tell this was done so parents and students could easily come and go to pick up awards that the student had won. And yet there aren't many reports on this. And the principal wasn't brought under public scrutiny for this. She was placed under suspension, then re-instated. Later she was placed in a different position within the school district. No public questioning on why the doors were propped open and unlocked that day. https://abcnews.go.com/US/ulvade-el...istrict-administrative-post/story?id=88043965
That's why they need to be monitored on some kind of control board. This also would apply to all video surveillance must be monitored constantly and just like the fire exit at Walmart when you open the door an alarm goes off that will cut that out.

That's why they need to be monitored on some kind of control board. This also would apply to all video surveillance must be monitored constantly and just like the fire exit at Walmart when you open the door an alarm goes off that will cut that out.
That would be nice but here's the issue with Uvlade. Those doors were normally locked and closed. Monitoring cameras are of little use if protocols are broken and doors left open. The parents reported that the doors were normally locked and closed. And on that day they were unlocked and propped open. Someone had to break that protocol. I'd be surprised if the investigation didn't uncover who ordered or allowed that. But there is no public report on who or why.

All we see is blaming the police, blaming firearms, blaming transgender ete. I'd rather see why the doors were left unlocked or why buildings are unsecured. Like I said there was one report were something like 28% of schools are unsecured.

That would be nice but here's the issue with Uvlade. Those doors were normally locked and closed. Monitoring cameras are of little use if protocols are broken and doors left open. The parents reported that the doors were normally locked and closed. And on that day they were unlocked and propped open. Someone had to break that protocol. I'd be surprised if the investigation didn't uncover who ordered or allowed that. But there is no public report on who or why.
I understand, but that is where the extremely loud alarm going off the second the doors opened, would come into play

I understand, but that is where the extremely loud alarm going off the second the doors opened, would come into play
At Uvalde they knew the shooter was there prior to him entering. He was shooting outside the school and they "locked down" the school before he entered. One teacher who went out to retrieve her phone closed the door after she entered the school. But the door that normally was locked didn't lock. I suspect that all the doors were unlocked so that parents could come and go to pick up the awards that day.

Heart felt sorrow for the parents and families who lost loved ones.

Not a fan of making a school resemble a prison. I am a fan of arming school staff/guards/etc. but I think it goes beyond schools. Criminals aren't afraid of the light anymore. They no longer need to conduct themselves in the dark because society has tolerated it. We must take back our day.

An armed society is a feared society. We must make those who would choose to do evil doubt themselves and their actions. Good men must at times do evil to protect the innocent.