How to harden schools.

The private school in Nashville apparently was proactive in seeking and getting professional help with "hardening" the facility and the staff went through extensive training. Any losses are tragic but the only losses apparently were in the hallways and common areas. As soon as event started the teachers locked down the classrooms. The classrooms were also equipped with trauma kits and the teachers apparently had them ready. The police were very responsive also and neutralized the threat. This could have been much worse IF the school had not been proactive.

The private school in Nashville apparently was proactive in seeking and getting professional help with "hardening" the facility and the staff went through extensive training. Any losses are tragic but the only losses apparently were in the hallways and common areas. As soon as event started the teachers locked down the classrooms. The classrooms were also equipped with trauma kits and the teachers apparently had them ready. The police were very responsive also and neutralized the threat. This could have been much worse IF the school had not been proactive.
I respectfully disagree if we are speaking of the recent Nashville school. While IF they did what you described is to be commended they failed on this important aspect. They left that side entry completely vulnerable. It was locked as we can see from the video, but the large glass was easily broke. That created a huge open entry.

I have read through all of the responses and ideas. I believe this discussion brings some clear areas for improving safety for our schools and churches. We have to face reality and deal with real threats that exist today. Secure our schools using all measures feasible including hardened entry points, technology, and armed security now. If we are afraid this will offend people or seek to reach consensus, we will never solve the problems. I'm sickened by the victim mentality that is prevalent today. Either step up and do something that will help or get the heck out of the way.
I agree but here the rub, most won't go to the school boards to voice this opinion. We see what is being pushed as a solution. Until parents go to the school boards and become the major voice calling for this we'll see more of the same.

All of this is truly so sad, children should not have to fear for their lives at their school.

But the fact remains this is the reality these days, cowards prey on the weakest and easiest targets. The whole politically correct stances have to change and the old paradigm of school security must be changed.

A lot can be done to prevent these things that literally no one will even notice or recognize that they are in place.

I don't think its just the school boards. Hardening schools requires spending money which means more tax dollars. Thats not very popular. How much would it cost to fix every single school in this country? How much would it cost to hire security for every school in this country? Can they find quality security personnel who will work for the wages that schools are willing to pay? Of course none of that would cover private schools. They would be on their own.

I'd get the Feds out of local schools, and with them curriculum focussed on divisive issues. Turn down the heat, and put parents back in charge.

Drugs, both over the counter, and prescribed. Since we're several generations of drug addicts deep now, both the cultural issues, and brain altering substances have taken their toll.

Maybe instead of knowing how many, and what kinds of guns were involved, an informed discussion regarding the drugs involved would be useful.

Significant meds are being mandated by the schools, meds that really no one knows their effects, and big Pharma will never allow us to see the damage they've caused.
Also, we never hear about toxicology reports on these so-called mass shooters. I think that would be another important piece of the puzzle to maybe figure out why they behave the way they do.

People talk like gun free zones in schools is new and some liberal idea. I thought schools were always gun free zones. I think it just got politicized. I went to to college in the 80's on a campus that was in a small rural town in TN. They made us take a year of PE. I took a handgun class. The first day of class they had a police officer come in and give a lecture. One of the first things he said was that it was illegal to have firearms on campus in any school in the state of TN. After that class we got to meet at the range and shoot. I also took riflery, trap and skeet, and archery. I don't know that they still offer those classes. There was a shooting range about 5 miles off campus.

Last edited:
I don't think its just the school boards. Hardening schools requires spending money which means more tax dollars. Thats not very popular. How much would it cost to fix every single school in this country? How much would it cost to hire security for every school in this country? Can they find quality security personnel who will work for the wages that schools are willing to pay? Of course none of that would cover private schools. They would be on their own.
I live in the poorest county in Oregon, and yet the schools are locked, entry ways monitored, and the schools have assigned RSO's.

It would be a lot cheaper than the billion's being sent to Ukraine.
Not saying they don't have a problem but we need to fix ours first before theirs.

Which is why in my first post I'd opted for hardening entries, plural. Having "line of sight" marked on floors. And having armed guards or staff.
Any one system can be defeated many good suggestions here I would just like to point out whatever is done needs to be done in layers multiple systems backing up each other

People talk like gun free zones in schools is new and some liberal idea. I thought schools were always gun free zones. I think it just got politicized. I went to to college in the 80's on a campus that was in a small rural town in TN. They made us take a year of PE. I took a handgun class. The first day of class they had a police officer come in and give a lecture. One of the first things he said was that it was illegal to have firearms on campus in any school in the state of TN. After that class we got to meet at the range and shoot. I also took riflery, trap and skeet, and archery. I don't know that they still offer those classes. There was a shooting range about 5 miles off campus.
They used to teach about gun safety in public schools in the 50's and 60's.
I'm old enough to remember guns sitting in the gun racks of trucks at school to go shooting or hunting after school.

It would be a lot cheaper than the billion's being sent to Ukraine.
Not saying they don't have a problem but we need to fix ours first before theirs.
If life were only that simple. People like to point out the spending on one thing could have been spent on something else when in reality the money would not have been spent on that something else even if they did not spend the money on that one thing. In Nashville, they put it to a vote back in the 90's to raise taxes to help schools. It was voted down. They put up a vote to build a $300 million stadium for the Titans and it passed, Its all in the priorities.