How to harden schools.

As do I, but my point was, showing the weapon changed their minds. I don't want to shoot anyone, and if I'm forced to draw, bad things will happen. Since what I do frequently places me around the elderly, they have been very open that they appreciative that I open carry. I have no tolerance for the panhandlers, the drunks, addicts, and lowlifes that see them as easy targets to grift. About a third of my church are elderly, and I am only 1 of 3 that's allowed to carry inside. The bulk of police open carry. If something starts, I would prefer they come at me, not someone's child or grandparent.
I firmly believe God has my six.
IMO open carry makes people an easy target for predators. Predators size up people as part of their profession. Showing them that you have a weapon gives them the advantage IMO. Just my to cents from the peanut gallery.

IMO open carry makes people an easy target for predators. Predators size up people as part of their profession. Showing them that you have a weapon gives them the advantage IMO. Just my to cents from the peanut gallery.
Well, so long as the child escapes, I'm okay with that.
I see your point to be sure.
My experience with predators is they seek out those that are easiest to overpower. They prefer hiding in the shadows to avoid being outed. They prefer anonymity. They have no empathy. Shooting at me exposes them. To everyone. Possible yes, but it's not how most of them operate. This *** shooter went after children....unarmed 9 year old kids....had there been obvious armed security, she wouldn't have tried it.

I have had to deal with a few predators....and I had no empathy for them.

This country and the left refuse to address mental health is a major issue. I'm sure sleepy Joe smacked his head when he heard transgender because it hurt the cheap political points tactic. Didn't stop them from "caring" though. Any local pd, state and fed knows mental health is a complete crisis and our legislature and court system just ignores it and allows all sorts of offenses to occur till they really go off the deep end....

Well, so long as the child escapes, I'm okay with that.
I see your point to be sure.
My experience with predators is they seek out those that are easiest to overpower. They prefer hiding in the shadows to avoid being outed. They prefer anonymity. They have no empathy. Shooting at me exposes them. To everyone. Possible yes, but it's not how most of them operate. This *** shooter went after children....unarmed 9 year old kids....had there been obvious armed security, she wouldn't have tried it.

I have had to deal with a few predators....and I had no empathy for them.
I'd classify what you're describing as a bully. A predator imo is a higher level, more sophisticated danger. But in any case I've heard of three reports where the shooter chose this school over others because it was a softer target. The glass doors made it all to easy to gain entry. EVEN SHE knew that all she had to do was to shoot the glass and walk in. Guards if there could have stopped her. So could have a truly secured entry.

ThinkN Ya could have the place locked down tighter than Ft Knox but, if the kids can still bring in an unchecked backpack, that's a breach of the fort. Wasn't Columbine a couple of regular students, left unchecked?

If the buildings that house our politicians have security, and they do, why not apply the same security and technology to schools.
One of the reasons why is the school board, admin, or even the PTA doesn't want to school to "look" or "feel" like a secured area. They don't like the idea of feeling like a prison. I've heard that reasoning that kids shouldn't have to deal with the dangers that exist today. Some people don't even want police to be at schools. I've argued to school staff that want to be armed get the training to do so. It wouldn't be hard to do so, you could even have monthly shooting sessions for marksmanship and safety. Easy peasy. But the idea of doing that is a hard sell, almost impossible to get approved in most areas. So FOR ME the easy button is securing the entry. But for whatever reason school admin and boards aren't held responsible for unsecured schools. Texas is an example. Unlocked doors and I've heard no one raise hell for that. The police didn't act quickly enough, we all agree. I'm pro law enforcement and I agree they used outdated doctrines. But the shooter walked into the school and then into a classroom. Those doors should have been locked and secured. If the shooter is outside you don't even need a firearm to stop the threat.

ThinkN Ya could have the place locked down tighter than Ft Knox but, if the kids can still bring in an unchecked backpack, that's a breach of the fort. Wasn't Columbine a couple of regular students, left unchecked?
Schools could have metal detectors, in the big cities many do. Some have gone to clear backpacks. No system will be perfect. Recently a school teacher was shot by a young student. The school admin were warned three times before hand that the student had a firearm. They searched him but missed looking into his pocket. The police weren't called until after the shooting. That's the mentality of the admin in some of our schools.

I have read through all of the responses and ideas. I believe this discussion brings some clear areas for improving safety for our schools and churches. We have to face reality and deal with real threats that exist today. Secure our schools using all measures feasible including hardened entry points, technology, and armed security now. If we are afraid this will offend people or seek to reach consensus, we will never solve the problems. I'm sickened by the victim mentality that is prevalent today. Either step up and do something that will help or get the heck out of the way.

Ever been in one of those Hellhole countries where they have a guard posted right inside by the menu board? He's got an over the shoulder strap and a machine pistol and a cheesy green fatigue outfit and it's only grande Macs and cash register he's protecting. Didn't feel a bit safer tho.