How to harden schools.

That's pretty easy to address as the schools I worked had done. It is an issue but you'd be surprised how that can be addressed.
Even fastening metal crossbars to existing doors prevents entry, using the savings to add warm blooded security personnel. I believe the shooter picked that school as it was the easiest to access. The true wealth of our nation lies in our children, and I will protect mine jealously. Politicians believe they are entitled to armed, even private security. They are not our future, and frankly, most are a waste of oxygen. Making the schools hard targets will stop most of this. I would also encourage some policing in many city schools, as in police sharing some space. Might help with disorderly students as well. I'm trying very hard to keep my remarks civil.....but this feels like a threat to my girls.....The "trans" groups are calling the shooter a martyr now. There's your problem, when people think they have the power of God. Time to Come to Jesus I believe.

Staff or adults shouldn't be using the kids bathrooms in the first place. And vice versa. As far as holsters it's a training issue. And no solution is going to be fool proof. I say the holster issue isn't an issue compared to unsecured schools. Last study I saw 28% of our schools are unsecured. My guess it's far more.
I've always used only type 3 tactical holsters. The gun locks in and can only be removed after hitting the release. And personally, I think open carry does have the added advantage on making it obvious you are armed. During cold weather it's hidden, yes. I've never had to draw it, but I have needed to show it a few times. It had the instantaneous affect of "Not one of the sheep" There is benefit to having a visual.

While ideal for security it's not practical or desirable for schools. You need multiple entry exits to let the kids out for activities and emergencies. But you can make the school a hard target by keeping the locked up.
Easily solved, as the magnetic locks can be tied into the fire/smoke alarm or simply a general "all open" command at the control panel and they will all unlock immediately. They can also be setup on a "schedule" to open when the afternoon bell rings to go home, night time events, etc. These systems are/can be very sophisticated should that need exist. The mag locks are different/separate from the door panic hardware. The door will actually still be locked from the exterior until the door panic hardware is used to manually open the door from the interior.

Last edited:
Easily solved, as the magnetic locks can be tied into the fire/smoke alarm or simply a general "all open" command at the control panel and they will all unlock immediately. The mag locks are different/separate from the door panic hardware. The door will actually still be locked from the exterior until the door panic hardware is used to manually open the door.
My point is having worked in schools expecting kids to go out through one door isn't practical or realistic. We're talking about lining up maybe a hundred kids or more to go through one door.

While ideal for security it's not practical or desirable for schools. You need multiple entry exits to let the kids out for activities and emergencies. But you can make the school a hard target by keeping the locked up.
At my granddaughter's school, all exterior doors lock after school starts, and do not unlock until school is over. While unlocked, a plethora of parents are present. Arriving late with your child gets you scolded publicly, and still takes 3 teachers to approve opening one door. Three tardies and you get refused. The outside recess area has an 8 foot metal fence, and two teachers are required to check first, then remain outside with the kids. This is the weakest part of the security. Some of those teachers may be armed, they allude to "they might be" which still helps. NOTHING is dumber than posting a "Gun Free Zone" and deluding yourself that it's some sort of deterrent. That's akin to posting "All you can eat!" sign at a weight watchers convention.

I've always used only type 3 tactical holsters. The gun locks in and can only be removed after hitting the release. And personally, I think open carry does have the added advantage on making it obvious you are armed. During cold weather it's hidden, yes. I've never had to draw it, but I have needed to show it a few times. It had the instantaneous affect of "Not one of the sheep" There is benefit to having a visual.
I carry everyday. I'd rather be concealed than be an obvious target. Heck I could care less if someone thinks I'm a sheep.

Gun free zones become easy targets.

Even with the best security comes complacency.

A lot of these shooters are people that are known--- it a shame but I can walk up to my kids "secure" school campus and ask to pick up my kid-- they quickly buzz me in and never have questions.

I'm not saying I have--- but I know I can conceil cary into the school and no one ever checks or questions.

One of our work safety mottos is "complacency kills" --- people get used to seeing the same people over and over, and doing the same tasks over and over and they stop paying attention

It's a mental problem not a gun problem. If you can figure out how to cure this country's mental problems we might have a chance.

We will never stop it all- where there is a will there is a way - I've seen a person killed with a fork.

My point is having worked in schools expecting kids to go out through one door isn't practical or realistic. We're talking about lining up maybe a hundred kids or more to go through one door.
Never said just one door, I stated that every door in the school can/should be fitted with these systems. I built many many schools and met with administrators in the programming/planning of most of the to discuss their "school specific" needs so I completely understand how a school is supposed to function, per the administrators.

One problem that causes migration away from truly being safe is that teachers and staff (and kids never did understand it) lose focus of the potential "reasons why" certain limitations/access is put into place and opt for the easiest way to accomplish completing their day. Example, janitor props a side door open so they can slip out and smoke regularly and remain unseen. Bad guy learns that, heck the majority of the teachers and students know it. The door sensor will recognize that and alert the panel. No more soft spot in the security.

As someone else stated, human nature is to take the easy way out, rigid locks, sensors and software does not. It keeps doing the same thing every day all day/night long. It is tested regularly, just like the fire alarm system.

One more thought, allowing old ideas to dictate the solutions to these new problems is not smart. Limiting school kids ability to just walk out any door (or any other activity that affords unwanted access from the exterior) is smart whether they like it or not.

Last edited:
In my previous career, I built big buildings, to include schools and prisons. Technology and hardware exist to magnetically lock a door and also to have a sensor that will notify a control panel/guard when that door is open. Very simple to retrofit old buildings to afford a secure perimeter. Glass door lites are easily replaced with aluminum panels. No need for continuous physical full security oversight at each entrance. One way in and one way out all day.
The last sentence sounds like single point of entry.

I carry everyday. I'd rather be concealed than be an obvious target. Heck I could care less if someone thinks I'm a sheep.
As do I, but my point was, showing the weapon changed their minds. I don't want to shoot anyone, and if I'm forced to draw, bad things will happen. Since what I do frequently places me around the elderly, they have been very open that they appreciative that I open carry. I have no tolerance for the panhandlers, the drunks, addicts, and lowlifes that see them as easy targets to grift. About a third of my church are elderly, and I am only 1 of 3 that's allowed to carry inside. The bulk of police open carry. If something starts, I would prefer they come at me, not someone's child or grandparent.
I firmly believe God has my six.