How to harden schools.

If faculty is aloud to carry then they need to be trained and certified. They should have to do active shooter drills on a regular basis and be recertified at the beginning of each school year. I don't know what the deal is but someone needs to design a holster that does not require the user to remove their firearm when they go use the bathroom. Someone was fired last month for leaving their firearm in the children's bathroom. This apparently is not an uncommon event. Teachers as well as off duty police officers have left their firearm in the children's bathroom.
I would say that is a big lack of training. Wow!!!!

If faculty is aloud to carry then they need to be trained and certified. They should have to do active shooter drills on a regular basis and be recertified at the beginning of each school year. I don't know what the deal is but someone needs to design a holster that does not require the user to remove their firearm when they go use the bathroom. Someone was fired last month for leaving their firearm in the children's bathroom. This apparently is not an uncommon event. Teachers as well as off duty police officers have left their firearm in the children's bathroom.
Don't have staff use children's bathrooms. Key lock the staff bathrooms.

Staff or adults shouldn't be using the kids bathrooms in the first place. And vice versa. As far as holsters it's a training issue. And no solution is going to be fool proof. I say the holster issue isn't an issue compared to unsecured schools. Last study I saw 28% of our schools are unsecured. My guess it's far more.

Chest holster concealed by light jacket adorned with big bold letters " Armed Security"?

What does Israel do to protect their schools? If it works there, perhaps we should be using it as a model?

IDF veteran, who, most likely, knows how to deploy that M2

isreal_gun_protection_school_meme.jpg

Here are some thoughts I sent around

I think every school should have at least one RSO - trained by local poolice.

In addition, I think they should be plain clothes and move around on a random basis on the first floor near possible points of entry - loading dock, etc. A uniform RSO is a target, a plain clothes would be more of a defender and possibly surprise a perp. If possible, an outside camera on various points of concealment or concern (parked vehicle) around the grounds monitored by RSO cell phone and able to forward to police. .

Would be a good idea to give neighbors a phone number for RSO plus 911 to call if they see something out of order. A neighbor could identify the specific area the neighbor is concerned about plus being relayed through to police. Find retired neighbors who are home a lot.

There are a lot of retired vets that would be willing to patrol schools armed. 3 combat vets at every school. We protect everything in this country with guns, except our most precious assets ( children) . Makes no sense to me. Evil exists in this world good people can stop evil people if given a chance. Just my 2 cents. God bless

There are several roads to take; harden schools with real STEEL security doors, install security drop isolation doors in hallways to curtail further access (no different than fire doors), manned security video to have vigilance before an assault, this person would have have been seen prior to entry on video, armed RSO tied to functional security plan. Test the response plan with administration, teachers and students at least twice a year.

Reality is evil cannot be 100% defeated but it can be made more difficult.

Chest holster concealed by light jacket adorned with big bold letters " Armed Security"?
I don't like chest holsters other than hunting. Shoulder holster might be okay but again there's retention issues unless the person is a grappler/ MA. A standard belt holster would do fine, just don't take the holster off the belt. And leave the firearm in the holster.

It's not a new thing this pure evil to harm innocent children. Bath Township School in Michigan , 95 years ago in 1927. There was an insane person who killed 43 children by using explosives to blow up the new schoolhouse. You almost need a platoon to guard some of these schools with acres of campus.

It's not a new thing this pure evil to harm innocent children. Bath Township School in Michigan , 95 years ago in 1927. There was an insane person who killed 43 children by using explosives to blow up the new schoolhouse. You almost need a platoon to guard some of these schools with acres of campus.
It's not new, I could list more but I'm not going to. Schools can be hardened to whatever degree the school board wants. But there is one factor that needs to be addressed. Children are expected to be safe at school. So that means schools are supposed to have some degree of protection for the children. Now we could argue on how much. But at a min my opinion is it should be very hard to gain access/ entry into the school. A fence provides some protection. Locked doors that CANNOT be easily breach provides some protection. Locked interior doors provides some protection. Not being able to see into the WHOLE classroom provides some protection. ALL these things slow down the attacker, maybe even stops them from gaining entry. This gives the police time to get to the schools. If these things cannot or will not be provided them the school board and admin needs to answer why. I think there needs to be a movement on why these shooters gained access into the schools. If the shooter can't gain access to the students or staff then the firearm becomes a non issue. And then the students and staff are safer.