How to harden schools.

xsn10s

I wanted to start this thread because of the recent tragedy. Hopefully we can keep this thread respectful and without the vitriol that is all too common today. I won't respond to all, or most of the posts because I worked in schools so this disturbs me, I have to protect my own mental well being. My purpose is to keep threads that are for prayers focused on that much needed support. This thread will be to look for solutions to keep the children and staff safe.
My suggestions:
1) Have locked, secure doors. A truly locked and secure door goes a long way to keeping the shooter out. A door or window that is easily breached is not secure. If the shooter can't get inside that will go a LONG way to stopping them.

2) Have clearly marked floors that show line of sight. These give students the awareness to hide from the shooter outside. If the shooter can't get clear line of sight that'll go a LONG way to stopping them from targeting the victims.

3) Have security whether it's RSO's, private, or voluntary armed trained staff. When I worked at the schools I needed to do a background check so that screens out a lot of people. In the past I trained both civilians and LEO. IMO there isn't a viable reason why a teacher, instructional aide, janitor or anyone that wants to protect the children couldn't do so with proper training and game plan.

Agree with all of it. We have to change our complacency and tolerance towards evil. Internal willingness and ability to fight back is a must. I teach hunters ed at the local schools for the last 15 years or so. This year was the FIRST year a single person called or mentioned anything when we were hauling the gear inside. One called the school (not 911) and another came up to us to ask us what we were doing (not 911). I explained to them how much I appreciated them noticing and saying something, and explained how and why it is best to call 911 immediately. Police and their dispatch center had been briefed on full description and times.

I wanted to start this thread because of the recent tragedy. Hopefully we can keep this thread respectful and without the vitriol that is all too common today. I won't respond to all, or most of the posts because I worked in schools so this disturbs me, I have to protect my own mental well being. My purpose is to keep threads that are for prayers focused on that much needed support. This thread will be to look for solutions to keep the children and staff safe.
My suggestions:
1) Have locked, secure doors. A truly locked and secure door goes a long way to keeping the shooter out. A door or window that is easily breached is not secure. If the shooter can't get inside that will go a LONG way to stopping them.

2) Have clearly marked floors that show line of sight. These give students the awareness to hide from the shooter outside. If the shooter can't get clear line of sight that'll go a LONG way to stopping them from targeting the victims.

3) Have security whether it's RSO's, private, or voluntary armed trained staff. When I worked at the schools I needed to do a background check so that screens out a lot of people. In the past I trained both civilians and LEO. IMO there isn't a viable reason why a teacher, instructional aide, janitor or anyone that wants to protect the children couldn't do so with proper training and game plan.
Post a sign outside of the building that states the faculty is armed. Most of the cowards will respect that. And hopefully there are some of faculty that are willing to be armed. Might be some parents that would object to this but ask them if they would rather just allow a shooter to enter the school.

Post a sign outside of the building that states the faculty is armed. Most of the cowards will respect that. And hopefully there are some of faculty that are willing to be armed. Might be some parents that would object to this but ask them if they would rather just allow a shooter to enter the school.
If you find a school board or admin that would be willing to do that then there would most likely be armed staff. The hard part is finding school boards willing to do that.

charlie & PP.jpg

If faculty is aloud to carry then they need to be trained and certified. They should have to do active shooter drills on a regular basis and be recertified at the beginning of each school year. I don't know what the deal is but someone needs to design a holster that does not require the user to remove their firearm when they go use the bathroom. Someone was fired last month for leaving their firearm in the children's bathroom. This apparently is not an uncommon event. Teachers as well as off duty police officers have left their firearm in the children's bathroom.