How to go Antelope Hunting

Buffalobob

Last year a lot of people emailed me and asked for information on hunting antelope in Wyoming. So it is about time to start thinking about it again.

Here is how I go about it.

Go up on the Wyoming Fish and Game website and download the Nonresident application booklet.

In the booklet are two things that are needed – 1. The unit map and 2. The tentative seasons dates.

Decide when you want to go and cut and paste a list of the units that are open when you want to hunt.

Go up on the web to Wyoming Maps - Perry-Castañeda Map Collection - UT Library Online

And download "Wyoming - Federal Lands and Indian Reservations".

This map will show you the federal lands. Look at your list of units and the unit map and then see which units have large amounts of consolidated public land. Eliminate the units without much public land. Your list is now smaller.

Go back up on the Wy G&F site and find
Demand Index Drawing Odds
Go to the 2007 list and click on it. Go to the Nonresident Drawing odds and down load it. Now then cut and paste the list till you have it to correspond to your other list. Eliminate any unit that has less than a 33 % chance of a draw.

You are now down to units that have good amounts of public lands and a good chance of a draw and are open to hunt when you want to hunt.

If when you go is not important to you but perhaps where you go i smore important then just change the process.

If you don't care when nor where but just want to go then start with the drawing odds list and work from there.

If you have partners, then you can use the form in the booklet to apply as a party and then all draw out or none draw out.

New this year is the ability to apply for up to two reduced price doe/fawn tags for only $48 each with your buck application. Antelope are easy to kill so it is no challenge to fill three tags.

The application must be submitted by March 15 so you must get your act together early in the year.

If you don't draw out there is a second change called the leftover draw and it occurs in July; however, the units with leftover licenses are predominantly private land units and you will pay $500 – $1500 to get access.

Finally, if you don't draw out on the leftover tags you can go up on Wy F&G site and find a list of vendors who will have doe/fawn permits for sale and get some of them and still go hunting but you will not be able to shoot a buck.

I will make a second thread on "How to hunt Antelope at Long Range"

Thanks BB! Good info.

I just received my Wyoming '08 application booklet in the mail. Starting to plan for 2008 hunting seasons already. March seems early, but the application for elk has to be in sometime in January as I recall.

Noticed the prices for non-resident tags took a fair jump for '08 as well... That, coupled with the price of fuel is making me re-evaluate my hunting plans. May not be able to include a Wyoming trip next fall.

Regards, Guy

I just looked and you are right, the prices have gone up considerably. The good point is that you can get the two reduced priced tags guaranteed so that makes three tags for sure.

The gas prices are pretty bad but being as I am already headed that way it is not a big expense for me to go a few weeks early and camp out and eat Ramen noodles and shoot some antelope.

There went $1,236.00 in the mail. Somebody remind me of the name of the Voodoo lady in New Orleans who can make the wind lay. I need to send her some money too.

BB, where did you put in for this year? I must have seen over 300 goats today. The winter didn't seem to be too bad on them here. If you are heading into my neck of the state, we might have to meet up.

I will be down near Casper, probably at Alcova Reservoir again. Units will open up around September 15. We will come a few days early to just scout around and get the guns rechecked.

I am assuming that the statistics will fall normally and we will at least draw on the does tags and one or two buck tags.

Wyoming antelopes"

Due by Mar 15th official date, heard that they will accept till the 17th due to the 15th falling on a weekend, but should not wait till the end if mailing .
Got ours in and just have to wait now, looks like ther will be severalof us in Casper again this year chasing the"lopes'ith our LRP's (long range psitols). last two years our group has had 100% success and at some very impressive yardages.
We hunt just east of Casper.
good luck to all applying
nmhunter
PS hey Cinch, one of our long range handgun hunters lives in Gilette now, XPhunter , he is usually on the specialty pistols forum here. He takes big game way out there with this "handguns".

Last edited:
hshunter

I will be joining you guys this year. It will be good to meet you and the others.

That's what I heard, great news, look forward to meeting you and seeing that 6.5 WSM in action.
nmhunter

We hunt just east of Casper.

There's some good goats up that way. I'm trying to decide if I want to hunt east or west half of the state this year. Might do like last year and one tag on the east half and two tags for the west half of the state. I've seen better volume on the west half, but better quality on the east half.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.