How to get started reloading..

pburton

I am looking to get started reloading. I have been looking at all the equipment and to be honest I am a little intimidated. The main thing is that I am not sure where to start. There are so many different kits out there to get you started. I am on a limited budget for right now. Can you give me some ideas about what over the counter reloading kit is worth buying. I see Lee has some very good prices but how is the quality. Honady also has decent prices. Where would you start? Thanks in advance.

Paul

As my first post here, I'll offer the following -

The first thing I purchased to dip my toe into the water was a book, The ABC's of Reloading. Quickly followed by a collection of reloading maunals. Read them all, more than once.

Next, ask around if someone local can take you under their wing for a few sessions of guidance on their equipment. See it happen, ask about their system. What do they like or dislike about their own tools. What would they do differently.

There's a lot of wisdom on this forum and I'm sure you'll get some great answers.

Good luck.

As my first post here, I'll offer the following -

The first thing I purchased to dip my toe into the water was a book, The ABC's of Reloading. Quickly followed by a collection of reloading maunals. Read them all, more than once.

Next, ask around if someone local can take you under their wing for a few sessions of guidance on their equipment. See it happen, ask about their system. What do they like or dislike about their own tools. What would they do differently.

There's a lot of wisdom on this forum and I'm sure you'll get some great answers.

Good luck.

This is very good advice!!! Get a reloading manual or book to read with basic steps. This will give you the base you need to get started. Then you will have the basic knowledge to know what equipment you need or to ask the questions you need answered. Plus it will help you to make this a safe and enjoyable venture.

Also, e-bay is a good source for good used equipment once you know what you want.

Jeff

well,for what it may be worth,I always ask how much shootin you
plan on doing.To some people it isn't worth putting all the cash into
it until your sure this is what you really want..For someone shooting
a box of 20 rounds a month..Not worth I say.But if you want to shoot
say a 100 rounds or more a month,then go for it..
:rolleyes:

I have thought about that as well. There are a couple of reasons that I want to start reloading. First, I do shoot a lot. Not necessarily with my long range rifle but I have multiple guns. Second, with the state of this country I foresee them taxing amunition more than it already is and factory ammo being more and more difficult to get. I want to be able to sustain myself without worry. The last reason is that I do want to get all I can get out of my rifle. Right now I am getting well under 1" with factory ammo. What could I get with reloads?

I have thought about that as well. There are a couple of reasons that I want to start reloading. First, I do shoot a lot. Not necessarily with my long range rifle but I have multiple guns. Second, with the state of this country I foresee them taxing amunition more than it already is and factory ammo being more and more difficult to get. I want to be able to sustain myself without worry. The last reason is that I do want to get all I can get out of my rifle. Right now I am getting well under 1" with factory ammo. What could I get with reloads?

Sounds like your ready and for all the good reasons...Get yourself a Lyman 49th edition book and study up on everything..It should help you decide what you might be wanting to get as far as the press,etc...Myself,have always be partical to Lee
dies and they turrent press..They have worked well over the years..I would suggest the 4 hole model...But look around and if you do happen to know someone who
reloads,maybe he or she can also be of help to you..

+1 on doing some reading first. When I started reloading I did a lot of forum searches here and at accurate reloading. There is a ton of info and pretty honest product reviews - you can generally tell who has an agenda . . .

What you get is going to depend on what type of reloading you are going to be doing:

If high precision rifle reloads are your goal, a single stage press of any brand should do you fine. I would recommend spending on your dies - I've had awesome luck (consistency, concentricity, quality) with Redding Match dies.

If you reload in quantity, are looking to save $, and think big O is going to tax the snot out of factory ammo (sounds like you do, and I aint arguing) I would strongly recommend a progressive press. I personally have a hornady LNL AP, and it has been reliable and problem free. I do not have the casefeeder or bulletfeeder and it is fast enough for my needs. I have also heard great things about Dillon progressives, but have never used one.

Whichever way you go, invest in a way to measure consistently - go/no go gauges for pistol (I like Wilson) and a headspace gauge for rifle (I have the Hornady set and it lets me compare against fired loads, which has worked for me). Measure the crap out of everything and load safe!!

Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.