How to get into competition

I'm happy for you Cowboy(even at twice the price) but for the USA I have searched the internet and all local places and everyone says the same,maybe next year.
I sure hope it don't take that long but who can say.Today I heard about 2 more covid variants so who knows.
I sent an email to Winchester and asked if there is any way to buy primers straight from them and they said no,they have contracts to fill and ALL of their primers go to contract ammo first and foremost.Even employees can't buy primers.
I would run out of primers too quick to try to compete.

I'm happy for you Cowboy(even at twice the price) but for the USA I have searched the internet and all local places and everyone says the same,maybe next year.
I sure hope it don't take that long but who can say.Today I heard about 2 more covid variants so who knows.
I sent an email to Winchester and asked if there is any way to buy primers straight from them and they said no,they have contracts to fill and ALL of their primers go to contract ammo first and foremost.Even employees can't buy primers.
I would run out of primers too quick to try to compete.
Ya i hear ya and id just go broke twice as fast i suppose

Just because a rifle is accurate and reliable doesn't make it a match rifle. That's not to say there isn't value in competing with a business gun. There's no better way to built competence. It's just important to accept that there's a competitiveness line that a gun not set up for the sport will simply not be able to cross.

These two are the same gun. The first iteration was set up as a practical rifle, something not meant to be used in controlled conditions and definitely meant to be used against things other than steel and paper targets. It's a terrible rifle to use against a clock. Weighing only 9lbs and being in .308win and with a garbage brake it was almost impossible to spot my own impacts any closer than 300m.
archangel_gabriel.jpg

Here's that same rifle (literally the same serial numbered receiver) set up as a competition rifle for PRS. It's a terrible rifle to walk almost any distance with. Apart from weighing >18lbs it's got more sharp edges than a bag of razor blades. It's now in 6XC and has so little recoil that I can spot my own impacts as close as 25m.
screen-shot-2021-07-11-at-6.47.50-am.png

I've shot the rifle in PRS matches in both configurations and all the stages in between. That's actually how it ended up looking like the bottom version. I wanted my scores to go up which meant being able to get all my shots off inside the time limit. Every optimization for the match course made the rifle less usable for real world practical purposes. Try hunting with the bottom version, HAH! Try competing with the top version, HAH! Don't let this sound like advice to not try, just advice to have your expectations of your performance in line with reality.

I think my rifle could be competition quality actually possibly two of the any ideas on where i might start in Western Canada would be awesome and a general idea of how much time i might spend on related activities would be appreciated from anyone already doing this.
Thanks in advance

You can absolutely use your hunting rifle in a PRS match. Will you be competitive? Probably not, but that's not why you're there . You're there to improve your skill set with that weapon system. You don't need to Run out and buy a bunch of stuff. Got Your rifle, optic with a scaled reticle and target knobs, bipod, rear bag and some sort of Game Changer bag. You're set.

Don't focus on everyone else or the times or the placing, etc etc. just focus on you and improving your skills and you will
Get a TON out of benefit out of it

Last edited:
Just because a rifle is accurate and reliable doesn't make it a match rifle. That's not to say there isn't value in competing with a business gun. There's no better way to built competence. It's just important to accept that there's a competitiveness line that a gun not set up for the sport will simply not be able to cross.

These two are the same gun. The first iteration was set up as a practical rifle, something not meant to be used in controlled conditions and definitely meant to be used against things other than steel and paper targets. It's a terrible rifle to use against a clock. Weighing only 9lbs and being in .308win and with a garbage brake it was almost impossible to spot my own impacts any closer than 300m.
archangel_gabriel.jpg

Here's that same rifle (literally the same serial numbered receiver) set up as a competition rifle for PRS. It's a terrible rifle to walk almost any distance with. Apart from weighing >18lbs it's got more sharp edges than a bag of razor blades. It's now in 6XC and has so little recoil that I can spot my own impacts as close as 25m.
screen-shot-2021-07-11-at-6.47.50-am.png

I've shot the rifle in PRS matches in both configurations and all the stages in between. That's actually how it ended up looking like the bottom version. I wanted my scores to go up which meant being able to get all my shots off inside the time limit. Every optimization for the match course made the rifle less usable for real world practical purposes. Try hunting with the bottom version, HAH! Try competing with the top version, HAH! Don't let this sound like advice to not try, just advice to have your expectations of your performance in line with reality.
This is one of the rifles i wanted to give it a go with also as yours it's 308

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210601-110909_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210601-110909_Samsung Internet.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 132
In Montana the guys and gals at these local matches are so helpful! They offer gear advice and lending so graciously that it is crazy.
I tried playing around with some black powder Quigley match stuff and those guys were Richards.
Just go and learn!
what you have will work just fine, and what you think you need, will be completely different gear and rifle setup in 2 years!

A varmint rifle with a faster twist, good scope w/ level, bipod with notched legs and swivel ability, rear bag, and almost any aftermarket chassis will get you into a local club match somewhere. Invest in a good thread protector also, some matches will require you not using a muzzle brake. Try any local match 300 yards or farther.

It's amazing the knowledge you will get by just being at a match. You don't need to be competitive. I have a good time blaming my load, what I ate for breakfast, the solstice, my rifle, etc for my bad scores. If I could only talk someone into hiding near the plates with a hammer I'd have it made.