how to find info on public land in kansas? or even missouri?

I would check with the Kansas div of wildlife and parks. A few years ago, when I was pheasant hunting quite a bit, we had a book of maps which showed all the private land enrolled in a hunter access program. Of course, until you get there you have no idea what the land is, wheat field, crp, etc.

There is very little public land here. The least of all the states. Kansas has such great deer hunting because no one lets you hunt unless they get TOP dollar on a lease. If you want to hunt here, pay an outfitter. It's easier to let him do the work.

The only public land is the walk in program and a handful of Army Corps of engineers lakes. cedar Bluff is by far the best. Wilson, Norton, Kanopolis, hillsdale, melvern, John Redman are all wastes of time if you want a buck. They all have some deer, but the pressure is so hard that you will never find an antlered deer during season.

Hunting here is way more weather dependent than other places I have hunted. If you hunt during a wet year, the deer are scarce and spread out. If you hunt during a drought, they are usually in very high numbers around water. The trick is that most of the time is that the water they are using is at a livestock tank and not on public land. If they do water on public land, they wait until dark. Find windmill pumps.

There are far more deer in the eastern third of the state than there are in the other two thirds combined. Big deer come from places like Manhattan, Abilene or close by. The genetics are rediculous there. 210" + is not uncommon to see.

Punisher is accurate. I am fortunate to have grown up on and still be a part of a size able farm here to hunt. It is hard to just come here and hunt public land because public land is very scarce and what public land is available gets trampled by every ks resident who doesn't own land or know someone who does. Hiring a guide is probably the best way to ensure you will have a quality hunt. Other areas worth mentioning are greensburg and Ford county when looking for a guide. I have seen and have friends who have taken several 180" to 200"+ deer from these areas. In all honesty there are massive deer all over Kansas. Our farm is in the very south east corner of ks and we have some incredible trail cam pics and have taken some great deer over the years. They are just harder to get on because there is so much more cover available as well as many more water sources.

wow I forgot all about this thread!

I'm heading up next week to give this stuff a try. I've got areas 12,13,14 and maybe 11? I don't recall right off hand what the 4th area is. I'm going to start by staying in Independence and work my way outward from there and travel where ever I need to. I'm free to hunt until the end of the season if I need to. I'm gunna give these WIHAs a good try.

This trip is more of a vacation for me to get away and just see something different. It gets old hunting these old pine goats. Killing a deer would be great but if not I'm not going to be heart broken. I've started hunting public land here in MS and I really enjoy seeing different areas. I've got 900ish acres here in MS and a lease. I've heard so much about how Kansas deer are completely different to hunt, from what people say they are much easier to hunt than they are here. I have no clue but I'm curious to see.

I've talked with a buddy and have a trip planned next year with an outfitter in SE Kansas around the Coffeeville area I believe. He hunts there pretty often and has killed some great deer. I'm more interested in killing a big bodied deer, in the 250lbs+ range, they just don't get that big down here.

I am heading to unit 4 this week. I have a 16,000 acre pasture to hunt and it has a creek running through it. I hunt it via canoe and should come out with some deer!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.