how to determine if Remington 788 .243 is long/short action?

skeeterboud

my wife has a .243 remington 788(was hers long before we met). I shot it the first time last week, and was shocked to have shot several 3/4" groups at 100yds with factory 95gr SST ammo. i kind of like it, now! anyone know how to tell if it's a long/short action? what center to center distance(inches) on screw holes equal what for short/long?

I believe all 788's were short action but I may be wrong, the one's I've been around or had have all been shooters!

All Remington 788's are short action. Currently have 223, 243, 7mm-o8 and 308's sitting in the safe. Never met one I didn't like. Never had one that would not just plain shoot. First MOA rifles I ever owned. Handloads I can get under 1/2 consistantly. Great little rifles. Make fun projects for stripping stocks and refinishing. Actually beautiful rifles with a hand rubbed oil finish.

All Remington 788's are short action. Currently have 223, 243, 7mm-o8 and 308's sitting in the safe. Never met one I didn't like. Never had one that would not just plain shoot. First MOA rifles I ever owned. Handloads I can get under 1/2 consistantly. Great little rifles. Make fun projects for stripping stocks and refinishing. Actually beautiful rifles with a hand rubbed oil finish.

Remington kinda had a jewel there didn't they, I have one in 243 my 1st hunting rifle 30 years ago still a shooting beast:cool:

my wife has a .243 remington 788(was hers long before we met). I shot it the first time last week, and was shocked to have shot several 3/4" groups at 100yds with factory 95gr SST ammo. i kind of like it, now! anyone know how to tell if it's a long/short action? what center to center distance(inches) on screw holes equal what for short/long?

If it's a .243, it IS a short action. Most 788's shot lights out. I have one almost like new in 22-250. Remington made them to be a cheap entry rifle with a maple stock and the artillery style bolt and lock up were so good they often shot better than the Model 700 which is saying something. Their biggest problem was sometimes the bolt handle would break off. No big deal:D......

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.