How to deprime live primers?

Always used single stage press, never thought it would be a good idea with anything that had a powder drop on it.

I have popped one cci250 out of millions but no big deal, never have my face or head over the press.

I buy a lot(thousands) of the demilled Federal brass with the FC headstamp. Most of these have the blue sealant evident around the primer. I loaded some up as they were and they all fired just fine, but I was uncomfortable with how the primers(cases) had been stored and handled. So I took to full length sizing each one popping out the live primer. I have a single stage Rock Chucker press and standard RCBS dies. I have never had a primer go off. Again that's thousands of cases. I'm always expecting it to happen though. Always wear eye protection, long sleeve shirt and a woodworking apron. And always work from above the press keeping my face away from the business end of things. I always use a smooth fluid stroke on the handle as well. I don't tempt things by banging the ram home.

There are two schools of through on this dilemma..

first says just shoot it off and have the biggest pop gun on the block. the cops will visit you if you are not rural enough. been there, done that and they do not like it what-so-ever.. you knowing how to reload and you having guns.

second school of thought is, ease them out and they will not go off. now I am not endorsing this method. I have used it, accidentally, 2 months ago when I grabbed a fully sized and primed case out of the bag of fired cases. nothing happened but I would not want to make it a practice. how that one case got into my decapped and polished cases is a mystery to me.

As many others have said, I use my resizing die and don't jam the heck out of it. I've probably done at least a couple hundred that way and never had one go off. I don't baby it but as was mentioned, I don't run the case full-speed through the die either. Get to the bottom of the stroke and press steadily to push the primer out. I use a Lee turret press and usually catch it in my hand (DON'T put your hand under the ram until you know the primer is OUT!) and then just reuse it. They work just fine.

1st I'd have to ask why do you want to de-prime them? Secondly why not just load them up and shoot them? How many are we talking about?

what is the best commercial deprimer tool to use after bullet and powder removed. Most I've seen state use for deadprimers. Is there a tool for safe live primer removal?
Sorry, I do not know of any safe way of removing live primers or know of a tool to do so. Safest way is to remove all powder and projectile has been removed from the case. Then chamber it and fire outside away from people and ignitable substances.

what is the best commercial deprimer tool to use after bullet and powder removed. Most I've seen state use for deadprimers. Is there a tool for safe live primer removal?
I've got to be honest I'm not sure the question here? Load it primed. Trigger it off. Depriment wet or dry. Even if it goes off I'm just going to say who really cares? it's not like it's going to do anything to anything that you own. If a prime case going off in your sizing die does anything other than go pop I'd be absolutely impressed. The most that I'd be doing in any case is adding a few drops of water and by the time I'm done adding water to the cases I'd start with the first one and start depriming set them off to the side Wait for them to dry to reuse for Target ammo. Obviously after getting them wet I'd never use them for the once in a lifetime chance that big game!

I've actually de-primed upside down primers without a problem. I have had 1 primer go off in my hornady lock-n-load progressive press when the spring loaded primer slide got caught and then slammed back setting one off (nothing to do with de-priming). Other than scaring the crap out of me, there wasn't any shrapnel or damage done. YMMV, I would say deprime away, you don't have to slam it up and down. I've also had multiple "hard" primers not go off when struck by a firing pin. I believe that it is a bit harder to set off a primer than most people think. If you are truly worried, shoot them off and then de-prime as usual.

Recent Posts