how to clean scope lens? or help doing it

bigrich954rr

Ok i was hunting out in some crappy weather. i know my scope lens got wet/dirty pretty good. I went to clean them with acetone and a Qtip. didnt get the water/dirt spots off. It killed me but started to use a lens pen it looked like they started to come off. but got freaked out and came here for help. Just use the pen and get them off or what. scope's a mark4 if it matters.

[ QUOTE ]
Ok i was hunting out in some crappy weather. i know my scope lens got wet/dirty pretty good. I went to clean them with acetone and a Qtip. didnt get the water/dirt spots off. It killed me but started to use a lens pen it looked like they started to come off. but got freaked out and came here for help. Just use the pen and get them off or what. scope's a mark4 if it matters.

[/ QUOTE ]

NEVER, EVER use acetone on a scope or an optical instrument. It will dissolve stuff that you don't want dissolved.

Use hot water and mild dish detergent (they ARE water proof), and rinse in hot water.

Let air dry.

Concur with Catshooter to use warm, not hot, water to gently rinse off the big stuff. I differ on the liquid detergent as it can mess with the lens coating also. Use the Lens Pen brush only to remove dust. Never wipe dust with a cloth or the Lens Pen leather pad. It is like sandpaper on the lens coating.. I would suggest photographic lens papers and lens solutions to clean what remains. They are cheap, readily available, and they are made specifically for this purpose. Go slow and easy. Hate to say it, but if you already used acetone, the damage might already be done and the lens might need to be re-coated. Just go ahead and finish cleaning and see how it looks.

I use filtered Nitrogen ( comes in a spray can ) to knock off any Particles . Now don't laugh ....but I prefer breathing ( my breath is CP Grade /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) on the optics and wiping very gently with the best Grade of optical Cloth you can find . It is very hard to find this Cloth now , but I bought a lifetime supply from one of the Chemical Supply Houses like Fisher ...many years ago . The best cleaning liquid I found was 190 Proof Ethanol ; however, I no longer work where I have a Federal License to get the stuff , so I use Isopropyl 70% ....yep , Rubbing alcohol from Wallyworld . For some applications you can spend a bit more and get 90% . Now if you want really clean Glass , you can use an Ethanol Degreaser assuming your coatings can take the Temps . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

After knocking the loose stuff off with a lens brush and shot of canned air, I use Acetone and surgical Qtips and have never, ever had a problem. Used on a Qtip it will not run into places you don't want it because it evaporates too quickly. Been using it a while now and like I said, never a problem.

that how i use to do it too. Just this time the spots just wont come off. I pick up a lens cloth and rubbed slowly working at it there coming off but not easily. not sure what i got on there should have been just rain and dirt.

I always take great care with my optics. Dirty lenses need not be a problem in the field.
Take a deep breath and blow all the crude off ya can. Then spit on it, take the cleanest part of your dirty T-shirt and buff it up. Works great every time.
Phil
Hunt fast, brag every chance ya get.
NRA Life Member.
I like cats. My dogs even like cats.

Well, dont do that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Clean as seldom as you can is my motto . Simply because the more often you clean is greater the chance for damage to the glass / coatings .

When you do clean : 1. blow all the loose debris away with either your breath or compressed air .2. Clean lenses with alcohol and a photo paper grade cloth after that .

Dont rub hard ! dont clean when unecessary.

My best advice , Jim B.

Get a can of air, blow off lenses, use a lens cleaning cloth. Zeiss makes a lens cleaning kit. They also make niffty little field packets, like you get at the gas station or resturant to clean your hands.
My Bino's I put right under the spikot and run water over the lenses and the body. I use the hotel hand towels to clean the outside body areas. I then let them rest on the counter flat so the water and dirt can run to the bottom of lenses. Clean with a q-tip or a corner of that clean t-shirt bearless let behind. Now I use the lens cleaning kit/cloth from Zeiss to get off the film/fingerprints. Do you need a lens pen, I have 2 you can have that were gifts. P.S clean only when dirty, not because think they might be.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.