How to clean brass? Lube or no lube?

Baboltin

I was reading another post and it brought a question to my mind that I needed to ask the individuals of this forum that have way more knowledge of reloading then I do this question.

should I clean my brass in an ultrasonic cleaner? I have a bunch of one shot nosler brass for my 7 mag that I am doing brass prep on and when I originally reloaded them I never used neck lube or anything just seated the bullet into the brass. Should I use lube? And if I shouldn't use a ultrasonic cleaner then what does everyone recommend to clean brass with? I also have a nut shell media tumbler, that I could use instead.
Thanks! I appreciate everyone's help on this forum for helping me learn how to be a better reloader.

I start by depriming the brass. This allows the primer pocket to be cleaned and prevents air from being trapped in some cases thus preventing the liquid solution from cleaning the inside of the case.

Put the cases in an ultra sonic cleaner for 1 hr. Solution is 1/4 teaspoon of Lemishine to 1 pt of water. Hot water works better but is not necessary. Add 2-3 drops of Armor All Wash & Wax.

NOTE: Don't keep brass in solution more than 1 hr or increase the amount of Lemishine. Your brass will turn pink. The solution will contain the primer and carbon residue that would have contaminated your tumbler dry media. Therefore, your dry media will last a long time as it is only used for polishing and not cleaning. This method also keeps primer & carbon residue in a solution and not in a tumbler where it can become airborne.

Dry in a Lyman Cyclone brass dryer for 1 hr.

Tumble for 60-90 minutes in walnut shell media (Zilla Ground English Walnut Shells Desert Blend from Amazon) with some Nu-Finish car polish. This media will not get stuck in flash holes. Throw in a used dryer sheet to keep down the dust.

I don't use the pin method for several reasons. I have seen evidence of damage to case necks and I don't like the idea of brass being work hardened, even slightly. I have several shooter friends who have had pins stick in the cases. Just for that reason I won't use this method. Just watching a demo on YouTube of the process looks way too complicated, not hard, just more work than what I want to do.

I know I'll get replies countering this last paragraph but that's my view.

At what point do you resize the brass, mandrel the necks and then clean all the lube from the brass? In a tumbler or ultra sonic cleaner? Also do you lube the necks to press the bullets ?

Similar but slightly different from Marchboom:

1) Very lightly lube case and then resize/decap. You will feel a difference in resizing tension with or without lube. I suggest lubing VERY lightly including case mouth.

2) I use standard vibratory cleaner with corn cob media and tumble overnight. I add cleaning compound to the media every 3 tumbles or so and change the media after maybe 5-6 tumbles.

3) If the cases need trimming, I do that at this point, then chamfer inside and outside, lightly. After trimming, I use the a Lyman powered tool for primer cup cleaning/uniforming.

4) Cleaning time, before priming: Many use ultrasonics, I use a simple bath in 91% isopropyl alcohol for about 10 mins using some shaking action, then dry completely.

5) Prime, charge, seat, then shoot.

I have read where guys don't use ultra sonic cleaning because it removes the carbon on the inside of the neck which they use as a lube basically for the bullet as well as so that it doesn't seize to the case when the round is fired. I guess that's why I'm curious if I should use my ultra sonic cleaner on this one shot brass or leave the carbon on there?

Once my cases are clean, I avoid any lube or anything else that could contaminate the burn. Do a bit of a search on case cleaning and you'll find many that still have the neck carbon and yet get great accuracy results. I believe a very light inside chamfer on the neck will aid in seating and the sizing will define the neck tension, so IMO, no neck lube needed.

IMO, people waaaaay over-think this stuff. I rarely ever clean my brass and don't anneal either. I simply run a brass brush inside the neck to remove any excess carbon/fouling and then reload with bushing dies. Most of my hunting rifles will shoot .5moa at 400yds. When the brass gets to 7-8x used I just toss it.

This simplistic approach has worked for me for many years.

If you're going to ultrasonic clean or anneal, chuck a 1caliber oversized bore brush in a drill and run it in and out of the neck after cleaning/ annealing. Bullets will seat really smooth.

I run stainless for about an hour once I have punched primers. Then I anneal, FL size and mandrel size, abs trim as needed. Then run in corn cob with little bit or Nufinish. Chamfer and then load.

If you're going to ultrasonic clean or anneal, chuck a 1caliber oversized bore brush in a drill and run it in and out of the neck after cleaning/ annealing. Bullets will seat really smooth.
That's a awesome tip thank you I will do that

At what point do you resize the brass, mandrel the necks and then clean all the lube from the brass? In a tumbler or ultra sonic cleaner? Also do you lube the necks to press the bullets ?
After cleaning. I size using spray-on lube (10:1 alcohol and lanolin) & use a FL die that has been honed larger then use a mandrel. Spray lube at a 45 degree angle so some lube gets on the inside of the neck. Then I tumble in corncob media for approx 30 mins. to remove all lube. Then I complete the other case prep items. Having a chamfer on the neck will allow the bullet to go in easier.

I like to clean ALL the carbon off the neck. It is almost impossible to leave a consistent amount of carbon on the neck. If you want some lube on the neck try moly powder. That would be a much more consistent way to lube.

I suspect evryone on the forum had their favorite procedure, and the bottm line as I see it is: "Does it work for me, and am I happy with it? I deprime the fired brass and then tumble in walnut with a touch of Nu Finish until bright an clean. I then lube the cases. resize, check length, trim if nedeed with chamfer and deburr. I then put thru Ultrasonic cleaner with Lemi Shine and drop of Dawn in hot water. With my cleaner, four 8-minute sessions and and it is done. Gets a rinse in clear cold water, dry in a dehydrator. After double checking primer pocket cleanliness. prime, drop powder and, with a bit of dry neck lube, seat the bullet. This process works for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts