How to choose a cartridge

Thanks 338 dude and Alex, I've been considering/wanting some type of electronic muff/sound enhancer for some time now....just dealing with indecision as to which! 🤬 memtb

Alex, excellent thread, I have followed a lot of your comments and it is obvious you are deep in experience. I hail from your state, don't know much about you as I am relatively new on here, could you tell us more about you? No one with the knowledge you have cannot possibly not have left tracks in the shooting world, please take the time to back ground us " pilgrims" new to this site as I would guess it is very interesting shooting life you have lead. Thank you sir!🤝👍🙏🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

No no you took me wrong, it's interesting to see how people evolve thru experiences and success.. no disrespect intended you are very knowledgeable and an interesting person, that's all. I read the start of this thread and knew you forgot more than I know, it was very well worded and informative

I've mentioned in other post I don't hunt! I'll shoot varmints and leave them dead. Quail is the only animal I'll shoot, clean and cook. Pheasant and maybe duck could be on the menu? I've been working on a custom build by myself for myself that will be a complete (stock, action, barrel, scope/rings and brake) that's no more than 8#. There has been mentioning of 33cal with no so enjoyable recoil. I have a Savage 110 stealth in 338lm and a $45 brake on it. Recoil is so tame and can stay on target and spot my own hits. It does weigh about 12#+. Velocity is cheap when shot thru a longer barrel, but needs enough gas (volume) too get it out. I'm also building a 300wm (30") barrel for a light weight build also. For elk and bear sized animals my choice would be a 300wm. Another member mentioned reaming a throat. Every caliber I have I have a throat reamer for (just in case). 2.9k to 3.1k works for me also and knowing what the expansion velocity of the bullet needs too be at when it hits the target of choice. Hoping the animal is cooperating with you on that day! I love my 26cals, but going 30 on this 1.

I figured Alex's had some accomplishments that were deep, you don't get that kind of experience by doing things Half assed, it's done by paying attention to the smallest details that most people do not see. In every sport there are a few that see it all and it is an advantage that sets them apart. You type information on here enough and who you are is obvious to some. Alex, it's a great trait to be humble to the gifts and blessings GOD gave us, I just want to say " I knew you weren't just another shooter" 👍🤝🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏👍👍🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸😉

This is a great post. I want to be able to add to it but really don't know how, it just seems like a very good way to approach picking out cartridges, and covers most everything.

All the choices we are offered are a blessing but they can become quite overwhelming, but breaking it down like this bullet, velocity, brass, length etc really simplifies the situation.