How to build a Rem 700 action and extra long barrel rifle

Dave King

Okay, after reading Darryl's several posts about his new project I can't take it anymore.

How feasible is it to built a Extra Long Range (ELR) rifle on a Rem 700 action and a heavy (tactical H-S Precision) stock.

I'm thinking about a longer barrel "a Darryl barrel", something to get really good velocity but I don't believe I can have it as heavy at my current tactical barrels. I usually get a .900 muzzle diameter with a straight taper from 1.25 beginning about 5 inches out from the front of the receiver on a 24 to 28 inch barrel. Can I switch to a smaller muzzle while still having a straight taper and have the action and stock hold together? I'd imagine I'd need to glass a little further out under the barrel that I currently do to provide some needed support. About 32 to 34 inches would be sufficient, I hope!

I need to be able to carry the rifle and shoot from a bipod so about 17 pounds INCLUDING optics, bases and rings and the bipod is max weight.

Caliber is either .308 or .338 and magazine feed rounds. Chambering really is not an important issue as long as I can magazine feed (perhaps negotiable).

I'd need a GOOD gunsmith known for doing this type of equipment. Darryl, do you know any???
grin.gif

PS... I'd like to be able to shoot Lost River Ballistics and other copper bullets so really radical rifling and smaller bores and such are out of the question.

Hello Dave

Sounds like your going to have a project too.

As far as weight, our light guns at the Williamsport 1000 yard club must be under 16 1/2 Lbs as fired. One of the restictions are that the muzzle MUST be no more then .950".

With a Remington action, 30" Hart (tapored to .950"), McMillen (Tooley Design) stock, Leupold LR scope and mounts, my two rifles weigh in at 16 lbs.

Your stock should be a tad lighter (?) then the McMillen and if you went with a longer "Darryl barrel" and tapored it to .900" or .850" I'm sure you would be under the limit you have set for yourself.
I have seen Tooley stocks Barrel blocked in the light gun class and still make the weight limit.
The longer barrel would probably have to be bedded (under the barrel) further out for added support.

Ray Romain (Romains Custom Guns) would be able to do what you want and the turn around time is great. He does NOT like to keep the guns in his shop too long. He does a fine job on KDF muzzle brakes, also.
He and I have always furnished the food for the Fathers Day shoot, by the way.
His number is 814-265-1948 and I'm sure he is at home now. He is a retired manchinest.

Good Luck in your project.

DC

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Dave/Darryl

I plan to have a LR project similar to Dave's. The cartridge would be 338 Lapua and the action will be BAT Machine. Still undecide with the barrel length, I was thinking of 34"-36" but more likely it would be ~30". The barrel would be either 1.25" or 1.5" from the beginning to .900" muzzle dia with straight taper and 5" at the receiver area. Do I still need bedding support even though the BAT action is extremely strong? Maybe I should talk to them about it. It will be used for hunting.

Hello No Fear

I would bed the 5" area (you mentioned) just in front of the action and make sure the recoil lug is done correctly also.

True the threading area is longer on the BAT but, with a 30" to 36" barrel hanging out there, support is still needed under the 5" shank.

Good luck to you in your project.

Darryl Cassel

Thank you for replying. When I looked at your new LR rifle and it seemed that if you add a bedding block, you will need to raise your scope a little higher. Is this correct?
Can I support the bedding area under the barrel (within 5" on the receiver) without wrapping around the barrel? Is it called "Shank"? Like you explained to Dave about it. Also if you plan to use bedding block, your choice of stocks is limited? Only use Benchrest stock or homemade stock? I'm sure I cannot use...like HS hunting stock, Remington synthetic stock?
-Denny Guinn

Yes, the bedding block will keep the scope higher. This is something you have to get use to.

Conventional bedding under the fat end of the barrel (5" shank)from the end of the action forward and before it tapors, will work for you.

Your next step would be a bedding block but, your stock is probably not big enough to do that.

Later and good shooting.
DC

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts