How to blowup your rifle

I do not grease the lugs of the bolt so there is just a light coating of rem oil but that would be about all.

As for the transporting of the rounds there were transported bullet up. I had them in a 50 round container and they spent their life with the bullet up.

I blew a primer today, but at much less pressure than the OP's cartridge. Still a surprise to me. It's been a decade or longer since I've ejected a casing with no primer.:mad:

RL26 in my 30/375 SI. It was the lowest powder charge of the 4 loads I intended to shoot. It was the only load I fired after the wisp of smoke and blown primer.
Haven't investigated causes yet, but will pull bullets and reweigh charges on the 3 remaining, unfired cartridges. A mystery. Primer pocket swelled about 0.004". Hope I can sort it out...

So as to not completely hijack this Thread, I started a new Thread to provide additional follow-up investigation / information. And the conclusion I reached on my blown primer incident. Here's a link to that Thread:

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/blew-a-primer-_-analysis.197020/

As for the transporting of the rounds there were transported bullet up. I had them in a 50 round container and they spent their life with the bullet up.

I'm out'a ideas that might cause detonation/S.E.E. then. Judging by the picture of the brass, although somewhat blurry, I suspected the charge might have frozen packed against the bullet with an air gap in front of the primer.

We will disagree, as politely as I know how to disagree.

Because "normal/safe" loads according to SAAMI are determined by maximum pressure. Not the lubricity of the cartridge or the chamber.

If an action fails due to a lubricated chamber with factory ammo, or any other source of home-brew ammunition, loaded within SAAMI maximum cartridge pressure, then someone or something failed to measure up. Someone is at risk of legally liability, if the evidence is clear and presented clearly.

If the reloader exceeded SAAMI pressures by relying on a lube free cartridge and chamber and the action fails, no one is liable other than the reloader and his/her poor practice/judgement.

You exceed the speed limit at your own risk, and in this example, jeopardy/peril. No one to blame other than the guy in the mirror.

I agree. Originally thought it was an issue, but spent many years developing loads out the back door without removing resizing lube. Wasn't worth the effort.

Dang, sorry to hear about your rifle!

But definitely glad to hear the rifle didn't blow up and cause you injury.
Thank you for the additional input and thoughts.

We tried to weld a rod onto the bolt but were not able to break the bolt loose. I actually broke the rod I welded to the bolt. We were unable to separate the barrel from the receiver, I tried that as well. Then I cut the tang and with a large channel lock I was unable to rotate the bolt. Then I cut the receiver again to be able to put the bolt in the vice so I could get more leverage. Once I got there, I was able to rotate the bolt and unlock it. It still took hammering on the receiver to separate the bolt from the receiver. The stuck case is still in the barrel.

What surprises me that the delta in temp is only about 15 degrees. I did the load development at 3 degrees so I wouldn't have expected such an increase in pressure. The Accubonds I have, worked from +30 to -10 with zero issues. The powder from all the rounds (Accubonds, Berger) are from the same 8 lb jug.

I also find it interesting that just the day before I shot that rifle over a span of 3 hours and put over 50 rounds down the pipe shooting 190 Accubonds, Berger 210 and 230s at 3 degrees with zero issues.

I will have to use this as a learning opportunity that is for sure. I have never experienced these issues with other powders and other calibers when shooting over a large temp range. I typically do my load developments at common hunting temps (10-30 degrees)

I guess I have a great deal more learning to do. I was not aware of the copper loading impacts between different round type on the barrel. in other calibers I am able to switch between rounds without negative impacts.

I have always shot Nosler, Hornady, and Sierra in the past. This is my exposure to Berger in the RUM. I had no issues with Berger in 308 and 30-06.

Any additional info you folks may have to help educate me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.
Just wondering if you found out anything you had someone look at your rifle did he find out possible causes

I picked up another 300 RUM. I hope I don't make the same mistakes with this one.
Here she is: Nothing special but it gets me back in the game
FSTFzb9.jpg

Here are the first ten round down the pipe. Shot 1 was at 3 o'clock and the remaining 9 grouped pretty good to start.

RyhGRAr.jpg

This was Berger 210 sitting on top of 91.5gr of Retumbo, F215 primers.
Average velocity was 2962.

I can't wait to hear the final analysis to see what the root fault condition may have been.

Thank you to all those who have contributed to this thread.

I'm out'a ideas that might cause detonation/S.E.E. then. Judging by the picture of the brass, although somewhat blurry, I suspected the charge might have frozen packed against the bullet with an air gap in front of the primer.

This is a scary thought. I have carried rounds in one of those saddle holders for years, in up to 50 below plus, while coyote hunting...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.