How to bed a Tikka?????

Scol_NZ

I've also posted this question elsewhere on the site but this may be a more appropriate forum.

Two of my friends recently purchased Tikka T3's in .223. One is a Tactical, the other a Varmint model. Both have 1:8 twist barrels and synthetic stocks. Despite trying numerous projectile/powder combinations we can't get either rifle to group under 1.5-2.0 moa. Tried an Optimum Weight Charge test with Speer 62gr FMJ-BTs and H4895 going up in .3 grain increments from 22.9gr to 25.3gr. Not one three shot group from either rifle was under 1.3 moa.

We've all read numerous reports that these things are meant to be real tack drivers but based on what I've seen so far I could not recommend either of these rifles to anyone. The barrels are clearly designed for longer projectiles (hence the 1:8 twist) but the magazines are blocked off too short to allow these projectiles to be seated out far enough.

Ive suggested to my friends that we investigate bedding the actions but I can't seem to find much information on-line about how to bed a T3. I'm aware they have a funny setup where the recoil lug is part of the stock and fits into a recessed slot in the bottom of the receiver. Some have suggested welding a remington style recoil lug on but we hope to find an easier solution.

So much for the Tikka "under 1 moa guarantee". For comparison, my Savage 112BVSS in 7mm rem mag has never grouped over an inch and usually groups .5 - .7 moa. Never needed any bedding.

Can anyone help with a description or photos of how to bed a Tikka T3 action and modify the magazines to allow longer C.O.L? Any help would be much appreciated.

I've also posted this question elsewhere on the site but this may be a more appropriate forum.

Two of my friends recently purchased Tikka T3's in .223. One is a Tactical, the other a Varmint model. Both have 1:8 twist barrels and synthetic stocks. Despite trying numerous projectile/powder combinations we can't get either rifle to group under 1.5-2.0 moa. Tried an Optimum Weight Charge test with Speer 62gr FMJ-BTs and H4895 going up in .3 grain increments from 22.9gr to 25.3gr. Not one three shot group from either rifle was under 1.3 moa.

We've all read numerous reports that these things are meant to be real tack drivers but based on what I've seen so far I could not recommend either of these rifles to anyone. The barrels are clearly designed for longer projectiles (hence the 1:8 twist) but the magazines are blocked off too short to allow these projectiles to be seated out far enough.

Ive suggested to my friends that we investigate bedding the actions but I can't seem to find much information on-line about how to bed a T3. I'm aware they have a funny setup where the recoil lug is part of the stock and fits into a recessed slot in the bottom of the receiver. Some have suggested welding a remington style recoil lug on but we hope to find an easier solution.

So much for the Tikka "under 1 moa guarantee". For comparison, my Savage 112BVSS in 7mm rem mag has never grouped over an inch and usually groups .5 - .7 moa. Never needed any bedding.

Can anyone help with a description or photos of how to bed a Tikka T3 action and modify the magazines to allow longer C.O.L? Any help would be much appreciated.

try talking to Tikka about it. before you discount their guarantee you have to give them a chance to make good on it. However, if they have already had custom work done to them such as a suppressor installed I'm sure they would have something to say about that.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.