How to adjust b.c. to get ballistic chart to match drops

Just shot 200 yards to give me another data point closer to expected ranges
Why not read this before you do any more shooting!
If you do this you will pay for tge extra cost of the LabRADAR in ammo and your time; not to speak of your sanity.
ALso I would take your Lab RADAR along on the hunting trip!

shootski

You need a computer to tell you that info?
The usefulness of a ballistic computer is dependent upon its accuracy. So if it doesn't compute for aerodynamic jump, then you are basically leaving +.2/-.2 of accuracy on the table for no reason.

The usefulness of a ballistic computer is dependent upon its accuracy. So if it doesn't compute for aerodynamic jump, then you are basically leaving +.2/-.2 of accuracy on the table for no reason.
I don't need an app to tell me how to adjust for wind. Don't even use the feature 90% of the time. I don't leave anything on the table, that info can easily be accounted for. I shoot in the mountains were AJ is not even remotely the concern of the day but that doesn't mean it is discounted. Careful assuming everyone needs a computer to spit out a result for every situation they encounter. Mountain terrain base shooting is no joke and add in winter predator hunting, you might be surprised what we have to account for. Additionally, our PRS and NRL matches are desert based and typically higher wind.

I do have a kestrel elite 5700 that uses AB if I need to dig into ELR solutions a bit more. For the purpose of LRH it is not needed generally.

Last edited:
I don't need an app to tell me how to adjust for wind. Don't even use the feature 90% of the time. I don't leave anything on the table, that info can easily be accounted for. I shoot in the mountains were AJ is not even remotely the concern of the day but that doesn't mean it is discounted. Careful assuming everyone needs a computer to spit out a result for every situation they encounter. Mountain terrain base shooting is no joke and add in winter predator hunting, you might be surprised what we have to account for. Additionally, our PRS and NRL matches are desert based and typically higher wind.

I do have a kestrel elite 5700 that uses AB if I need to dig into ELR solutions a bit more. For the purpose of LRH it is not needed generally.
what does mountain shooting not being a joke mean, or have it do with AJ?

AJ is a vertical component of wind. It is what is, regardless of if you're in the tree line or in the sandbox. No one is talking about wind drift.
So it's nice to have a calculator that accounts a solution to aj into your drop.

Pretty sure thats about what orkan is saying..

I don't need an app to tell me how to adjust for wind.
You clearly aren't hearing what I'm saying.

Aerodynamic jump is an ELEVATION effect which comes with the wind call. One app mentioned accounts for it. The other does not.

... and 4 or 5 tenths of unaccounted elevation from 3:00 to 9:00 wind, is not trivial, I don't care where you are shooting.

But hey, don't let that stop you from berating me and acting like I don't know how to shoot instinctively or making out like I am tied to my computer like a puppy on a string. You want be nasty with me and fight about it? Fine. You win. I'm not interested in the chest puffing.

-----------

what does mountain shooting not being a joke mean, or have it do with AJ?

AJ is a vertical component of wind. It is what is, regardless of if you're in the tree line or in the sandbox. No one is talking about wind drift.
So it's nice to have a calculator that accounts a solution to aj into your drop.

Pretty sure thats about what orkan is saying..
Meaning it creates more potential conflicts with wind calls due to multiple changes in direction and speed. AJ is taken at the muzzle and yes it can and should be accounted for as near wind has more effect over the flight path. Does that mean an app or shooter who is not using AJ does not understand what it means or how their projectile is affected? NO. It's not that simple unless banging away at a flat range with a high cross wind component and longer ranges where the data is more easily seen from the ballistic engine. I thinks absurd to discount anyone just because they aren't using the computer to tell them something they already know. I think we both know most people take shooter wind and send it and don't understand cross wind components, wind segmenting, and drafts. That takes a bit of time in the field shooting scenarios. I also very clearly said AB is the best engine out and didn't start this bs debate. I said it is a simple app that is intuitive and did not say it is the best. Geesus we were talking about bc and fps truing and wind was not even part of the conversation until someone decided to bag on my post. Didn't realize how sensitive someone might get over a freaking app.

Yes can agree with that. Changing wind conditions are just not exclusive to the mountains per say, hence why I asked.

For the purposes of this conversation the relevance of AJ is, why true your bc and mv if you're just going to let 0-.2 mils of elevation out of the total solution?

As far as needing a calculator, like most things you don't "need" one. I prefer not to waste time doing math if it's not needed. So, I can understand the desire to have a better calculator.

AJ is equal to: mph/100= mil outputs. However, accuracy is highly dependent conducting a no wind zero, if not you'll zero in errors that will round out at further distance.

Yes can agree with that. Changing wind conditions are just not exclusive to the mountains per say, hence why I asked.

For the purposes of this conversation the relevance of AJ is, why true your bc and mv if you're just going to let 0-.2 mils of elevation out of the total solution?

As far as needing a calculator, like most things you don't "need" one. I prefer not to waste time doing math if it's not needed. So, I can understand the desire to have a better calculator.

AJ is equal to: mph/100= mil outputs. However, accuracy is highly dependent conducting a no wind zero, if not you'll zero in errors that will round out at further distance.
Good points. What makes you think he had vertical wind components? I made this point earlier but didn't see an answer so I assumed low wind (my bad) but his data is so far off it seems unlikely AJ is part of the issue. Could it be. Sure. Not many people attempt truing in higher wind conditions. If he is shooting in 10 mph at 1000, especially with terrain changes, he has a lot of issues going against him. Now, 300/600 are we really thinking AJ is an issue? It just seems pretty trivial, unless higher wind, to argue this is end point. You are correct, no doubt, that any and all wind need to be accounted for. Just wondering if we really think this is that big of a factor at 300/600? If shooting in a 5 mph wind at 600 we are talking .1 MOA.

Good points. What makes you think he had vertical wind components? I made this point earlier but didn't see an answer so I assumed low wind (my bad) but his data is so far off it seems unlikely AJ is part of the issue. Could it be. Sure. Not many people attempt truing in higher wind conditions. If he is shooting in 10 mph at 1000, especially with terrain changes, he has a lot of issues going against him. Now, 300/600 are we really thinking AJ is an issue? It just seems pretty trivial, unless higher wind, to argue this is end point. You are correct, no doubt, that any and all wind need to be accounted for. Just wondering if we really think this is that big of a factor at 300/600? If shooting in a 5 mph wind at 600 we are talking .1 MOA.
Nothing makes me think that.

I was just agreeing with orkans point that was unrelated but I can see the relevance of having a good calculator before getting all wrapped up in .1 mil of truing.

I don't even look at these OPs too hard anymore. There's about two of these threads every week….and the same people give out **** advice or the OPs refuse to listen.

If you have a no wind zero at 100y and your shooting at 300y in 7 mph wind crosswind, that would be 7/100=.07 mils at which is a rounding error of .1 at 300y.

It's only relative if you are good enough to be within .1 mil of accuracy. If not, the person in question should continue to progress through the basics.

Didn't realize how sensitive someone might get over a freaking app.
I spend my entire week nearly every day at least once, having the discussions about why their predictions aren't matching real world drops, and apps that don't account for aerodynamic jump are the root cause of at least 90% of the problems.

It's basically comical at this point how frequent it is. "I hit low for some reason. Me - "was the wind blowing left to right?" Them - "It was, how did you guess that?" ... then a 45 minute discussion about aerodynamic jump takes place. They thank me profusely, then call me back a few weeks later to thank me again because understanding this ONE SINGLE VARIABLE has increased their first round hit percentage at distance by at least 30%.

People talk about apps as if its 6 of one, half dozen of the other... and it just isn't.

I guess if I didn't help people shoot for a living, I could afford a cavalier attitude about it as well. My customers deserve results, and an app that is off by .2 mil of vertical even when everything is entered correctly, is unacceptable.

-----------

Nothing makes me think that.

I was just agreeing with orkans point that was unrelated but I can see the relevance of having a good calculator before getting all wrapped up in .1 mil of truing.

I don't even look at these OPs anymore. There's about two of these threads every week….and the same people give out **** advice or the OPs refuse to listen.

If you have a no wind zero at 100y and your shooting at 300y in 7 mph wind crosswind, that would be 7/100=.07 mils at which is a rounding error of .1 at 300y.

It's only relative if you are good enough to be within .1 mil of accuracy. If not, the person in question should continue to progress through the basics.
ok, I feel like we are on the same page. Your points make sense. I was trying to keep it simple and low level considering the OP was at the basic end of things. Who knows, I have covid brain right now anyway. Been long month trying to fight that battle and maybe I'm not ready for debates. Ha ha