How tight to tighten Night Force rings?

Warren Barrett

I`m in the process of mounting a scope on the new longrange rifle that Greg Tannel (Gre-Tan Rifles) has just built me. I`m in question as to how tight to tighten the Night Force rings onto the rail. Do any of you know the correct tightness?
thanks, Warren Barrett

The spec for Badger rings which are similar to Nightforce units is:
..large 1/2 nut on side of each ring - 65 in.-lb
..4 small screws on top of ring halves - 15 in-lbs
ian

Ian, I`ve looked for a torque wrench that will go as low as 15in. pds., and as high as 65in. pds., but so far I haven`t found one with this range. The operating ranges may start as low as the lower # but will not go as high as the higher number, or the other way around, and that is have the higher # on it ,but not go as low as the lower #. I`m gonna look around some more, but if you know of one that will operate in these ranges, please give me some information on it. I`m hoping to just have to purchase one instead of two.
thanks, Warren Barrett.

Warren,
I do not know of a tool that will torque through that range, there might be one and hoepefully someone on this board can advise.
I bit the bullet and bought a 65-80 inch-lb Sekonk from Badger Ordnance ("T"-handled, goes 65 on and 80 off so you can remove the nut) and a torqure screwdriver from MAC tools. I use these tools enough to justify them but they are pretty expensive toys.
Good luck.
ian

Ian, I`ve been needing to invest in a torque wrench just for the purpose of tightening action screws and scope rings for a while now. Since "the new toy" has arrived, I`ve desided to go ahead and purchase one. It looks as though it will take two of them to torque to those numbers as I see that is what you had to do also. Thanks for your help.
Happy Thanksgiving, Warren.

Snap-on makes a terrific torque meter that is a 3/8 drive with a working range from
0 to 125 inch lbs. It is much easier to use than a click type wrench and holds a very fine calibration for a long time. Mine is 12 years old and has yet to go out of calibration.

65 inch pounds is the correct spec for the Nightforce ring cross bolts.

I haven't seen one, but I am told the Makita tool stores have adjustable inch pound torque wrenches for a decent price (under $50 as I recall?)

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.