How Tight do you Lace your Boots?

Ingwe

I cant seem to find the right balance between tight laces that hurt my feel and restrict circulation and a comfortable-loose fit that feel good but allow my feet to slide around inside my boots when I hit rough terrain.

I use Asolo 520's for daily use as well as when hunting.

How do you all do it?

There are different ways to lace a boot. I find myself over tightening because they loosen up before long. By skipping certain eyelets and reversing direction on others, you can relieve those circulatory tight spots and still get a snug lace that doesn't relax after a little bit of walking. Just do a search on youtube to get some ideas and maybe experiment and invent your own lace-up. Also, spongy laces slip.

There are different ways to lace a boot. I find myself over tightening because they loosen up before long. By skipping certain eyelets and reversing direction on others, you can relieve those circulatory tight spots and still get a snug lace that doesn't relax after a little bit of walking. Just do a search on youtube to get some ideas and maybe experiment and invent your own lace-up. Also, spongy laces slip.

Never thought of that mike thanks! I'll take a look tonight

Better boots laced tight. The better the boot the better the diff. I do adjust for terrain and heavy loads.

Steve

4 years ago a buddy turned me on to obenauf laces. They are extremely tough and fireproof. They were developed by hotshot fire fighters. The laces are coated in a light beeswax, and they don't slip, at all.

I use them to tie my lower laces very tight but then leave the top looser for a more comfortable fit while hunting.

Depending on the boots being used (support wise) and what I'm actually doing (hiking to a hunting spot or rucking for extended distance/time) determines how my I lace them. If rucking then I lace them loose'ish on my feet as feet will swell. I also need a lot of ankle support so I tighten around them accordingly. Having a short set of laces on the bottom and another separate set up top aid in doing this.
After several miles, make an adjustment.

I have tried a piece of isomat between the laces and the tongue of the boot. This allows you to tighten them up without the hot spot from the laces on your feet (helps your boots float too).

I too have a set of Asolo's. Very stout and unforgiving in the stiffness department. Definitely a mountaneering boot. I lace the arch/toe portion a little looser than the top around my ankle/lower shin area. That I tighten just a bit. I have found with the shank in these boots I do not need to tighten down and make them like a cast.

I wish the military would figure this out. Issued boots for the masses require you to tighten and loosen based on activity level.

thanks for all the info, been struggling with lacing a pair of irish setter elk trackers, so i got some danner powderhorns coming in the mail, now i dont have to return them and i have enough boot for the next 5-10 years hopefully!

also theres no comparison reviews between these two boots and they are almost identical. i got both uninsulated and im doing fine in the snow, comfortable not warm or cold, just comfy and its cold on the mountain.

ill do a write up comparing them if anyone is interested.

I will skip a lacing point on my boots when I have a spot that tight laces bother my foot. I've even had the left and right boot laced differently at times, nor sure why but think it's because your feet swell when hiking with a heavy pack and my theory is 1 foot may have swelled more than the other. It's well doctumented that hikers feet swell especially after a few days so I get boots with enough room to accommodate the swelling.I also carry a thinner sock for days when my boots feel tighter. I also tighten my boots when descending steep mountains to keep my feet from sliding down to the toe pocket.

I use all the methods stated above. I often adjust my laces throughout the day as my feet might swell due to water, etc. I also adjust for terrain, steep gets tighter than when I'm hiking flat.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts