How things have changed in the past 10 years.

I have friend that owns an archery shop. He has a wall filled with different broadheads. He says" there isn't a broadhead on there that someone does love and someone doesn't hate".

Fads, changes, and advancements in equipment are what keeps sites like this one going. One thing I would bet on is that lead will be out of the bullet equation in the not too distant future for ALL of us. Randy Brooks was clairvoyant.

Lots and lots of changes over the years. While I have to admit it's nice to be able to shoot farther,I kinda miss the old days when anything over 400 yards was a looong shot. Guess I m kinda old school but I still like the get as close as you can style of hunting.-- But it sure is nice when you can't get any closer and you have the ability to reach out there a ways!

Fads, changes, and advancements in equipment are what keeps sites like this one going. One thing I would bet on is that lead will be out of the bullet equation in the not too distant future for ALL of us. Randy Brooks was clairvoyant.

Not trying to get political here, but you may be right about what'll be in 10 years. Momentum follows the laws of physics and this freight train is a juggernaut........
Gotta love CA

Zero recoil with a Lazer, no wind drift or tradjectory drop with a Lazer. If a tree is in your way, go ahead and just cut it down with your Lazer.
How big would the battery pack need to be for a laser to do any of that?

I searched for tips & info on this forum for a long time before joining in 2015. It's funny how so much has changed. Early on there was a pile of people who was die hard nosler partition loyals. Then came the nothing but Barnes folks. Berger got popular along these times & there was constantly threads debating over the reliable pass through of the partition or Barnes vs the terminal performance of Berger's. When the bonded bullets come out, many folks went all in for those. Now a good majority of us are shooting Bergers or elds. Many more folks early on in these were running factory rifles. Lots more folks running custom rifles here now. Not near as much talk here about the 30-06 or 270 as it was. Not so long back the 6.5-284 was the new cartridge to have and it seems to be loosing ground now.
Just curious as to where were gonna be with bullets, cartridges, & rifles in another 10 years or so.

some predictions and or hopes for the next decade of shooting:

more adoption of the sig-style steel brass hybrid case design (277 fury) and the 80000 psi loads to go with.

commercial introduction of triple base propellants (third base is nitroguanidine, big artillery type rounds use it, slow burning, currently present in some powders but only in small amount as a flash suppressant - should redefine how overbore is too overbore to be worth it).

the development of precision single shot falling block rifles, allowing for appreciably longer barrels in packages that are still portable and don't require a wheelbarrow to transport.

a greater proliferation of truly affordable rifles chambered in hot rod cartridges. A savage 111 in .27 nosler tickles my fancy...

Big enough to be fine for stand hunting near the truck, but a backpacking version is another 10 years out.
Honestly it'd still be faster (and in my opinion more entertaining) to cut the tree down with a firearm than any laser we'd have access to at present. Not to mention the risk of attracting Darth Vader's hostile attention :)

Even though it was tried once before, consider electronic ignition. No striker jump, faster lock time, and imagine what that could do for trigger pull.
It is intriguing. I would just be highly suspicious of reliability as a hunter who lives in a cold and snowy place - precision electronics are notoriously sensitive to extreme cold and moisture.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.