How similar are Berger VLD hunting vs target, same caliber, same weight

The Oregonian

For those who may have used both VLD hunting and target of the same caliber and grain, how similar is load recipe, accuracy, etc between the two?

I would obviously work up to the same charge weight and back off if I saw pressure, but should the expectations be that the same charge and the same seating depth should produce similar accuracy? I say this because certain bullets may be available in VLD target while the hunting version is hard to find. I'm not super low on hunting bullets, but what i have could last much longer if I can shoot the target version for practice and preserve my hunting bullets for hunts and load verification before the season starts.

The BC is slightly different, 0.024 in the 30 cal 185's and .007 in the 6.5's, so that needs to be accounted for, but a slight change in the BC may not change the load recipe.

My first thought is that if they were interchangeable then the target version would be just as hard to find as the hunting version. But my next thought was that might be a big assumption to make, and my third was that I'd rather not buy target bullets and waste other components on testing it out.

The only difference according to Berger are the target bullets have a thicker J4 jacket.
The hunting bullets are thinner to ensure expansion.
I have never ran the 2 side by side, but I know the 210g Target VLD used 1g less powder than the 210g VLD Hunting bullet in my 300WM. Neither load was max and I never went looking for max. It just happened those 2 loads shot the best.

Cheers.

For those who may have used both VLD hunting and target of the same caliber and grain, how similar is load recipe, accuracy, etc between the two?

I would obviously work up to the same charge weight and back off if I saw pressure, but should the expectations be that the same charge and the same seating depth should produce similar accuracy? I say this because certain bullets may be available in VLD target while the hunting version is hard to find. I'm not super low on hunting bullets, but what i have could last much longer if I can shoot the target version for practice and preserve my hunting bullets for hunts and load verification before the season starts.

The BC is slightly different, 0.024 in the 30 cal 185's and .007 in the 6.5's, so that needs to be accounted for, but a slight change in the BC may not change the load recipe.

My first thought is that if they were interchangeable then the target version would be just as hard to find as the hunting version. But my next thought was that might be a big assumption to make, and my third was that I'd rather not buy target bullets and waste other components on testing it out.
I've ran both. Pretty much an exact copy. I couldn't see a difference. I like a thicker jacket for elk and bigger critters.

The VLD target is .025 longer from base to Ogive. I used the same Load charge, but different seating depths. I believe my VLD target load was seated .02 deeper than my VLD hunting load.
IMG_3349.jpeg
IMG_3350.jpeg

IMG_3351.jpeg

I think he's referring to the VLD Hunt & the VLD Target. Not the VLD vs. the Hybrid. I'll throw up a picture of the two bullets side by side
Indeed. I found some 6.5 140's today so the only bullet where I am kind of short is a 185 30 cal. If I can't find those before too long I may go down the target route.

Thanks for the info.

Indeed. I found some 6.5 140's today so the only bullet where I am kind of short is a 185 30 cal. If I can't find those before too long I may go down the target route.

Thanks for the info.
The VLD hunts were super devastating and explosive out of my 28 nosler. I switch to the VLD Targets to get better expansion control. Havent killed anything yet with them though. And probably won't, because I've decided to shoot the hammer hunters this season!

well I have used 30 cal VLDs in my 300 win but as soon berger came out with the 215 hybird I tried that and love it the 215 I can move a lot faster with less pres, then the VLD. the vld topped out at 73 grs max around 2894, the 215 went up to 77.7 and 3010 and the hybrid is out standing on game took a small fork moose yester day with it at 30 yards neck shot and it was down and dead work good at long range also. same with my 6.5 PRC hybird hunters two wolves down one at 235 yards and one at 600 one round and they went down on the spot

I've shot both in the 168g version in my 7mm RM and they are the same as far as load and accuracy etc.

do the hybrids have the heavier jackets? (Comparable to the VLD target)

I've shot both in the 168g version in my 7mm RM and they are the same as far as load and accuracy etc.

do the hybrids have the heavier jackets? (Comparable to the VLD target)
for the 30 cal no hybirds have a lighter jacket but they do work out of the 300 I never had a game go more the 20 yards and all were 1 shot more speed and less pres with the hybirds. and under 1/2 inch at 100 yards and good out to 1240 yards

Recent Posts