How often should we clean our muzzle breaks?

SBruce

How often do we need to take the break off and give it a good scrub/soak down?

I've recently acquired a couple big game rifles with breaks. I normally clean my bore/barrel somewhere between every 20-50 rounds. Do I need to remove the brake this often too??

What is a good way to do it?

How often do we need to take the break off and give it a good scrub/soak down?

I've recently acquired a couple big game rifles with breaks. I normally clean my bore/barrel somewhere between every 20-50 rounds. Do I need to remove the brake this often too??

What is a good way to do it?

If you have the ported type of breaks it can be cleaned when you clean your rifle without
removing it.

If they are the ones with small holes they need to be removed and cleaned every time
you clean the rifle.

Vias recommends this every time and even supplies a pin to remove it.

After removal, I use a bore brush and solvent on this type and apply a light coat of oil to the
threads in the break and the rifle.

The ported breaks need to be installed with some sort of thread sealer to prevent solvent
entree into the threads if it is not removed each time.(Strong bore solvents can damage
threads with time.

J E CUSTOM

Utrasonic Cleaner, you can put 5 or 6 in at one time, run them through a few cycles and they look brand new.
A LOT less messy than brushes and solvent.

Dave

Utrasonic Cleaner, you can put 5 or 6 in at one time, run them through a few cycles and they look brand new.
A LOT less messy than brushes and solvent.

Dave

I've never used one of those... where do you get 'em?

@SBruce

I always use an appropriate application of that metallic anti-seize goo (that you put on spark plugs, etc...) on all infrequently disturbed metal joints. I haven't had a problem with anything being stuck since I started doing that. Ask a gunsmith about this though... I do not own a gun with a muzzle brake.

My gunsmith told me @ every hundred rounds. He says it does not need to be cleaned every time you clean your rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts