How often do you anneal your brass?

Is there really only 1 good/quality annealer on the market? I've been waiting to buy 1 for no particular reason, but seems like it could be real handy. I'll skip the automated part for now. For new setup how many pieces of brass gets lost due to setup?

Is there really only 1 good/quality annealer on the market? I've been waiting to buy 1 for no particular reason, but seems like it could be real handy. I'll skip the automated part for now. For new setup how many pieces of brass gets lost due to setup?
1 piece of brass is sacrificed on the AMP to get the code for that batch of brass. I usually weigh up my 15 pieces of brass maybe more and find one right in the middle as the sacrificial lamb. Then once you have you code you're good to go with that batch of brass. It is annoying having the 1 empty spot in your ammo case though lol.

1 piece of brass is sacrificed on the AMP to get the code for that batch of brass. I usually weigh up my 15 pieces of brass maybe more and find one right in the middle as the sacrificial lamb. Then once you have you code you're good to go with that batch of brass. It is annoying having the 1 empty spot in your ammo case though lol.
Some manufacturers include the code now for certain lots of brass, or you can check with AMP and they might have it already too. That can keep you from wasting one if you don't want to check it yourself.

Here's a screenshot of the sorted version. The top 3 rows are frozen to stay in view while sorting, which was 'ordered' by 'Caliber'.

Unfortunately an .xlsx for an Excel spreadsheet is not support by this site. They do however support .zip files so the attached is a "zipped" copy of the sorted spreadsheet, which will need to unzip (extract) and save the file named "Peterson Test Data - sorted.xlsx allowing you to view and scroll.

ADDED NOTE - The decimal (".") was removed from all calibers they were listed in on the original list to keep the calibers together whether they were previously prefaced with a decimal point or not.

Attachments

• Peterson Test Data - Sorted.zip
    55.2 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
I forgot twice in a row to anneal and notice the ID of the case mouth is .0015 smaller than the mandrel size. Spring back galore.

I'm very interested to see how the neck tension plays out, especially if you do the testing at 600+ yards. It's going to be fun stuff!
I look forward to seeing how annealing or not relates to neck tension on paper. As we've discussed, 600 is my preferred minimum after what we learned last summer. It'll be a big time!

You can tighten your primer pockets with a ball bearing and keep using them. I found using primer pocket cleaner ( electric) can be an early cause of that...so I quit doing it...now I just clean the flash hole....helps.
I've seen that but not 100% sold on the process as it's only swagging the top of the pocket. I'm running mostly Weatherby cartridges and buy 60 pieces of brass when one get a new tube and those last the life of the barrel thanks to annealing every firing. I do clean the pockets with a brush by hand and the flash holes and haven't had any issues. I could see where being a little aggressive would open them up causing them to die before their time.