How often do you anneal your brass?

Every third firing. It's not needed for each firing unless you just want cool looking brass. Over 40 years of doing this stuff. Lots of minutiae stuff is unnecessary. Just trim to length when needed You don't even have to polish or tumble it. Having scratched cases has no effect on accuracy. Just don't let it get to nasty. Tumble on third firing and anneal. Repeat the process.
Sometimes I just have to read the target and remind myself whatever I'm doing is working good enough for my level of marksmanship. Yesterday 10rnd groups 308 Win with my loading process (With some slight cherry picking! 🤣)

IMG_8887.jpeg

I anneal when I remember and do the torch and drill/socket method.

Last edited:
I anneal after every firing. I'm not a competitive shooter but I strive for consistency and in my opinion/experience neck tension has a tremendous impact on POI consistency. Not to mention when you anneal every time split necks are a thing of the past.
So you are saying by annealing a split neck will never occur, you can load a single case forever? Or what tells you your brass is finished....case head separation?

So you are saying by annealing a split neck will never occur, you can load a single case forever? Or what tells you your brass is finished....case head separation?
No Sir, not at all. Just making note that I had a couple of Weatherby's that were notorious for split necks with only a couple of firings years ago and since I started annealing, I haven't had a single split neck. When primer pockets get loose, I toss them and luckily I've never had a case head separation. I do keep a close eye on it. I use the old paper clip method along with a bore scope.

No Sir, not at all. Just making note that I had a couple of Weatherby's that were notorious for split necks with only a couple of firings years ago and since I started annealing, I haven't had a single split neck. When primer pockets get loose, I toss them and luckily I've never had a case head separation. I do keep a close eye on it. I use the old paper clip method along with a bore scope.
You can tighten your primer pockets with a ball bearing and keep using them. I found using primer pocket cleaner ( electric) can be an early cause of that...so I quit doing it...now I just clean the flash hole....helps.

I bought a flame one that cost me $300, but Im with you all the way. $1500 is a lot of $$$, But then so is everything else I have!!!!!
At the present time, I anneal every firing. I built my first which was based on the "Elfster" style. I sold it after picking up a used AnnealEez. After consideration about consistency of setup each time with a flame type annealer I picked up a used first gen AMP and added Aztec to it. I believe I stand the chance of "getting the same trip everytime" with the AMP that I questioned with the flame style's.

Not that I know anything but my gunsmith has told me that you should load within 48 hours from sizing your brass. He said it will spring back if you don't.
jmo
I have, and do, size beforehand with a bushing style die. At times it's a day, and other times days, until I load these cases. I won't run the expander mandrel until I can charge and seat the bullet immediately after.

One thing I'll say is, many top level BR shooters don't anneal. Glenn Kulzer set x8 1000 yard BR records in 2021. He shot a 6BRA with Alpha brass, never annealed, and used I believe .005 neck tension. I'm not saying annealing doesn't matter, but with results like that, it's hard to say it's necessary. Again, just my opinion and observation on it. If it makes you feel better or you see a difference, keep doing what you do.
After reading more about not annealing, and more neck tension than I have ever run, it's time to find out what the target's say at distance using new brass. I have a machinist friend building new mandrels for 4 and 5 thou of interference to compliment the .0005 to .003 that I now have. I look forward to seeing the firsthand results - with each aspect tested individually.

After reading more about not annealing, and more neck tension than I have ever run, it's time to find out what the target's say at distance using new brass. I have a machinist friend building new mandrels for 4 and 5 thou of interference to compliment the .0005 to .003 that I now have. I look forward to seeing the firsthand results - with each aspect tested individually.
I think you'll find .002 interference fit to be the "Goldie Locks Zone!"

I'm very interested to see how the neck tension plays out, especially if you do the testing at 600+ yards. It's going to be fun stuff!

Just got into annealing so I'll be watching this. Is there such a thing over annealing just thinking about the folks doing it after every shot