How not, to use a 6.5 creedmoor

I am not sure there is any damning evidence against the Creed in that video - I saw a hunter make some **** poor shots a long ways away with a crappy rest. This video is more damning against the hunters than it is the gun or cartridge. Honestly I have seen similar stuff on shows like the best of the west and Extreme Outer limits with 7mm and 300 Rums when they make a bad first shot.

I just watched another video on those yahoo's youtube channel of an archery bull hunt that is just as much of a **** show as the rifle hunt posted here. Can't fix stupid.

Last edited:
These guys are just sad. The 6.5 creedmoor isn't at fault here it's the shooter/"hunter" who is. The 6.5 can take elk at this range and there are many who have used it successfully. I have two 6.5 creedmoors and they are awesome but they aren't my go to for elk and I wouldn't bring it out for elk period but that's me, especially if a 600 yard shot is in the realm of possibility. **** poor shooting is at fault and a bigger gun wouldn't have made a difference.

While I like my 6.5 Creedmoor, I am now shooting a 7mm mag. I had a similar experience at very reasonable 300 yards. The shot looked good but wasn't. Several attempts latter the bull was finally dead with a neck shot. The combo of gun caliber and bullet performance wasn't enough to put it down without a follow up shots.

Elk are very tough animals and the Creeds should be left to deer and antelope.

The shooter obviously has poor judgement and poor shooting skills..IMO the 6.5CM is a 225 yard Elk rifle at most..Sure accurate shots in the boiler room will far exceed this limit, but if I were going to take a longer poke it would be 7mag and up.

Am I seeing this right, please correct me if I'm not. I'm having a hard time telling where his first shot hit. On my phone it looks like it hit shoulder (maybe broke it) and didn't penetrate. Then miss (?...all I see was dirt flying) and another miss (third definitely, wide left). Then base of the neck/shoulder junction (?), then another rifle and pistol shot after jumping him when they made it over.
I know crap happens when hunting but the video made me cringe a bit.

Wow...such criticisms from everyone...maybe the gun was sited in perfectly...maybe it was 600 yards....big deal........where does elk fever fit into this.......that is a long time frame to get cool and collected and have a mistake happen.....
What are you guys.....a bunch of democratic senators with nylons on your legs.......
Things happen...evn with a bigger rifle the outcome could have been extremely worse...
And no....i don't own a creedmore....but i have seen good shooting people make poor shots........
And the rifle is easily a 600 yard killer.....but it is unfortunate that the bull suffered for so long.....

Your right Figjam. A whole lot of wrong into bad choices, made with a marginal round for them elks.
More things have to be right and the margin for error is small, to use a medium round for elk.
When you see something like this, you say to yourself, this is why folks get upset at the cartridge, when it was probably more to do with operator error?
The optics on this was pretty bad, even though the outcome was a positive.

PS: His buddies should take him to the Scrip Klub, this year for his birthday, instead of hunting.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.