How much velocity difference will 5" of barrel make

atl5029

I'm looking at getting a muzzle loader, not necessarily for long range, but for shooting deer at ranges over 150 yards here in Ohio, where the only modern firearms that are legal for deer are slug guns and a limited selection of straight walled cartridges. I'm deciding between the CVA Accura MR (Mountain Rifle) which has a 25 inch barrel, and the LR (Long Range) which has a 30 inch barrel. I really like the handling of the mountain rifle, which I think would make a much better overall hunting gun. My question is how much extra velocity would I be giving up with the 5" shorter barrel of the MR over the LR with Pyrodex and 250-300 grain bullets.

Thanks

Not enough fps loss to make a difference. I like the MR but if I was buying a CVA it would be the Apex.

I just discovered the Apex a couple weeks ago. I'm definitely going to go that way. I can get a 50 cal muzzleloader barrel and a 45/70 barrel that are both Ohio legal, and I can probably reach out there to semi-long range with the 45/70 barrel and hand loads

If you know your yardage EXACTLY and know where to set a long range sight for that exact yardage with a 45-70 shooting many of the 500ish gr bullets between 1100 and 1200 fps a deer within 1000 yards can be in serious trouble. :D I shoot a Sharps 1874 copy with tang long range peep sight shooting black powder loaded shells in 45-70 cal. It will drill a 45 cal. hole through about any animal in North America and you can eat right up to the bullet hole. I have killed a few deer with it. They don't drop in their tracks unless you hit the central nervous system but bleed out pretty quickly if you put one through the lungs. With either the muzzle loader or 45-70 you will have to put in A LOT of time shooting them to know where they shoot at longer range. If your range calculation is off 50 yards you will most likely miss. Good luck and good shooting.

If you know your yardage EXACTLY and know where to set a long range sight for that exact yardage with a 45-70 shooting many of the 500ish gr bullets between 1100 and 1200 fps a deer within 1000 yards can be in serious trouble. :D I shoot a Sharps 1874 copy with tang long range peep sight shooting black powder loaded shells in 45-70 cal. It will drill a 45 cal. hole through about any animal in North America and you can eat right up to the bullet hole. I have killed a few deer with it. They don't drop in their tracks unless you hit the central nervous system but bleed out pretty quickly if you put one through the lungs. With either the muzzle loader or 45-70 you will have to put in A LOT of time shooting them to know where they shoot at longer range. If your range calculation is off 50 yards you will most likely miss. Good luck and good shooting.

i have a Sg Sauer Kilo 2000 that is dead on with range so I think I'll be good. Just gotta put in the range time.

I just discovered the Apex a couple weeks ago. I'm definitely going to go that way. I can get a 50 cal muzzleloader barrel and a 45/70 barrel that are both Ohio legal, and I can probably reach out there to semi-long range with the 45/70 barrel and hand loads

CVA has decided to stop making the Apex so you better get one soon.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.