How much trouble going from MoA to MILS?

Either one just measures the angle. It is purely a matter of personal preference, but I like my clicks to be .25 moa, as opposed to .36. Mainly I like the fact that 1 moa is real close to 1" at 100 yard, 2" at 200 yards, etc. 3.6 doesn't multiply (x2, x3, etc.) so easily..\

Great to 500 yards but after that starts to fall apart. @ 1000 yards 10 1/2 ". I shoot both but am slowly working toward all my long range guns Mils.

G'day all,
Making my first purchase into a FFP MIL scope. I have only ever used SFP scopes in MoA which I understand backwards.
Will I have trouble switching from one to the other in my BALLISTIC AE program?
My biggest concern is confusing myself and missing...LOL.

Cheers.
Your ballistic program should be a simple check box to change from inches, to moa, to MRAD...if not ...throw the program away...as one of the other folks suggested already ......just think mils and don't make any attempt to convert in your head again....go with the flow.....you only want one formula if you want to use your scope as a range finder: height of your target in inches.....take a man...best estimate...call him 6'= 72" x 27.8÷ the number of Mils he takes up in your scope say 2.4 mils= your distance in yards.....have a ton of fun!

Great to 500 yards but after that starts to fall apart. @ 1000 yards 10 1/2 ". I shoot both but am slowly working toward all my long range guns Mils.

@ 1000YDS each click is 2.5 or 3.6 inches respectively. That's ~ 0.05moa or 0.015 mil.
How realistic is it to expect somone to be able to see/hold/shoot the difference between 10" and 10.5" at that distance? Your solution will likely be between clicks so you'll have to dial AND use a reticle to even use the accurate solution.

@ 1000YDS each click is 2.5 or 3.6 inches respectively. That's ~ 0.05moa or 0.015 mil.
How realistic is it to expect somone to be able to see/hold/shoot the difference between 10" and 10.5" at that distance? Your solution will likely be between clicks so you'll have to dial AND use a reticle to even use the accurate solution.
Couldn't agree more but a 1/2 MOA adjustment error will probably miss a 12 " target at 1000. Just saying 1" to 1 MOA falls apart at longer distance

G'day all,
Making my first purchase into a FFP MIL scope. I have only ever used SFP scopes in MoA which I understand backwards.
Will I have trouble switching from one to the other in my BALLISTIC AE program?
My biggest concern is confusing myself and missing...LOL.

Cheers.
I am sure that I am the odd man out here but I have moa scopes for long range deer hunting (shooting). One is 1/4 min clicks and the other is 1/8 minute. I prefer 2nd focal plane as I dont want to use any marks in the crosshair to determine distance. I like a crosshair with a dot and a program to tell how much to click and use the only intersecting lines as an aimpoint. Also there is a clear sight picture with nothing in the way. The1/8 minute clicks are good as I can click closer if target is "in between" click value. As far as wind, it is very easy to pick the amount left or right knowling basically how long the animal is. I understand both measurements but prefer to click and hold right on.

I am sure that I am the odd man out here but I have moa scopes for long range deer hunting (shooting). One is 1/4 min clicks and the other is 1/8 minute. I prefer 2nd focal plane as I dont want to use any marks in the crosshair to determine distance. I like a crosshair with a dot and a program to tell how much to click and use the only intersecting lines as an aimpoint. Also there is a clear sight picture with nothing in the way. The1/8 minute clicks are good as I can click closer if target is "in between" click value. As far as wind, it is very easy to pick the amount left or right knowling basically how long the animal is. I understand both measurements but prefer to click and hold right on.
At present I have the same, 2 scopes in MoA with 1/8 clicks in 3-18x50 & 4.5-27x50, both are SFP have the same reticle and I know them well, the new scope is FFP 4.5-27x50 with a PRS style reticle in MRAD.
It will take me some time to get my head around the new scope, but this will happen naturally as I tune loads to suit.

Cheers.

Just an FYI, vortex ebr reticles do. Also, the human brain is very good at determining the center of open spaces ie: it's very easy to determine 0.5 moa from a 1 moa space View attachment 202704View attachment 202705
I haven't seen that one. But you gotta wonder why they did it so far from the center if for wind, and why so many of the fine graduations?

I mean, you gotta be holding more than 12 MOA of wind to use the finer graduations, and if they are for measuring, then you sure don't need 20 MOA worth.

I have used moa for over 50 years and mil the last 20 both work just fine with ballistic ap both work well my Theory is be smarter than the scope

My 260 rem sighted in at 200 yards calls for 26.8 moa at 1000yds but only 7.8 mills. I have found that I can wrap my brain around mrad much easier than moa. All of my rifles have mil scopes with the exception of my F class rifle and it is a 15-60x 50mm 1/8" moa Scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.