How much trouble going from MoA to MILS?

MagnumManiac

G'day all,
Making my first purchase into a FFP MIL scope. I have only ever used SFP scopes in MoA which I understand backwards.
Will I have trouble switching from one to the other in my BALLISTIC AE program?
My biggest concern is confusing myself and missing...LOL.

Cheers.

MOA and mils are just two different ways to measure an angle. If you use the ballistic program to tell you the proper amount of correction and dial that into the scope you shouldn't have a problem.

It appears, after some dabbling with Ballistic AE, that it will give out either with the same input. I did not know it could do that.
So, thanks all, it's simpler than I had imagined.

I hail from Down Under, so the metric system is what I learnt, and I have always been Imperial measurement savvy, but having to NOT think in inches is gonna be difficult I think. Building engines has always been in 'thou of an inch'

Cheers.

DO EVERYTHING IN MILS. Seriously. When I sight in....I shoot, measure with reticle and adjust.
When my buddy says I'm 3" at 4 o'clock....I say, what are speaking?? Chinese!

It appears, after some dabbling with Ballistic AE, that it will give out either with the same input. I did not know it could do that.
So, thanks all, it's simpler than I had imagined.

I hail from Down Under, so the metric system is what I learnt, and I have always been Imperial measurement savvy, but having to NOT think in inches is gonna be difficult I think. Building engines has always been in 'thou of an inch'

Cheers.

Nothing to do with metrics or imperial despite the ignorant beliefs out there. It's been said already, think in the angles. Moa is moa, mils are mils, and has nothing to do with mm, cm, inch, yards or meters. While a base 10 system exist, it doe nothing for the practical shooter and if you find some odd reason to need that 10 base system, you to use linear math, both systems work in such.

It will help you immensely in growth as shooter to let go of the imperial vs metric.

IMO, this has everything to do with rifle accuracy. If your rifle is shooting 1/4 or 1/8 MOA at range, maybe those are better.

MIL has several advantages. A really accurate gun is 1-3 tenths mil accurate at range. So there are not unnecessary clicks. Also, turrets are 1/10 mil. Most reticles are .2 mil lines with imaginary .1 mil spaces....if that makes sense. So .3 mil wind is easily dialed Or held.

MOA often has 1/4 MOA turrets and 1MOA reticle spacing that can be 1/2 or 1/4 split...PITA. So a 3.82 MOA hold is go to the 4 MOA line/dot and back off a bit.

BDC works, but it is more language. I have one with a translator paper taped to it!!!

Thanks guys, I do understand the difference, was only referencing inches due to the more commonly termed usage of it that 4" or whatever is the amount of drop or drift.
Have yet to get the scope in my hands, once I do it will be even easier for me to decipher.

Cheers.

DO EVERYTHING IN MILS. Seriously. When I sight in....I shoot, measure with reticle and adjust.
When my buddy says I'm 3" at 4 o'clock....I say, what are speaking?? Chinese!
I say thank you and make a simple adjustment. I can make the same measurements and adjustments in an MOA scope. Only difference is I have finer adjustmenTs. If you know your equipment And it works for you, it doesn't matter!!!

It's easy, in the last 10 months I've switch almost a dozen rifles over to milrad. It's all I shoot now. I mil is 3.6" at 100y Vs a moa is 1.06" or whatever decimal point it factors out at. Mils are smaller numbers that end in a single decimal. It's like working with dimes vs quarters in moa. My 300 norma is 14.8 mils to a mile, in moa that's 52.56 moa, what do you think is easier to work with?

Last edited:
I say thank you and make a simple adjustment. I can make the same measurements and adjustments in an MOA scope. Only difference is I have finer adjustmenTs. If you know your equipment And it works for you, it doesn't matter!!!
Yep, MOA is 0.1" finer (0.36 inches vs 0.26 inches at 100 yards)...so, 0.1047 MOA difference.

Worst case scenario would be the adjustment falling exactly between clicks. So, If you get all the way out to 1,000 yards, in an absolute worst case scenario, you might be able to dial in your scope 0.532 inches closer to your theoretical firing solution.

I'm sure that would make ALL the difference.

Yep, MOA is 0.1" finer (0.36 inches vs 0.26 inches at 100 yards)...so, 0.1047 MOA difference.

Worst case scenario would be the adjustment falling exactly between clicks. So, If you get all the way out to 1,000 yards, in an absolute worst case scenario, you might be able to dial in your scope 0.532 inches closer to your theoretical firing solution.

I'm sure that would make ALL the difference.
I never said anything about moa or Mils being better. Maybe I should have stated that it would take more clicks on a moa scope to dial to your shooting solution. Maybe I shouldn't have voiced my opinion that if you know your equipment and it works for you then It doesn't matter. There is always going to be somebody argue both ways. If there was ONE great solution for everything there would only be ONE Scope Sold And this thread wouldn't even be here.

Either one just measures the angle. It is purely a matter of personal preference, but I like my clicks to be .25 moa, as opposed to .36. Mainly I like the fact that 1 moa is real close to 1" at 100 yard, 2" at 200 yards, etc. 3.6 doesn't multiply (x2, x3, etc.) so easily.

But for a metric person, that would probably not be helpful.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.