How much total elevation?

joseph

I am looking at two scopes. One is 4-16x50mm and has 75 MOA.

The other is 6-24x50mm and has 65 MOA.

They are both Vortex Viper PST FFP scopes with the EBR-1 reticule.

How many inches of total elevation does each have and which one would you choose. There is only about $50 difference in price.

I plan on using it for long range hunting and target shooting with a 6mm Norma BR. pushing Berger 105 gr. VLDs at about 3,000 fps.

joseph

Last edited:
The "inches" is irrelevant and varies with distance. You'll find that, apples-to-apples, greater magnification means less adjustment travel.

Questions:

1. How much MOA do you need with your load to get to the distance you intend to shoot?
  2. Do you want to use a MOA base? Do you want to avoid it?
  3. Do you have to dial all the adjustment or are you ok with dialing some and holding-over for the rest?

since you say long range hunting and target... I'd go for the bigger powered scope since they are the same brand and quality. looks to me like you would be able to reach 1000 yards w/ that elevation if things work out decent. If not, you can get a sloped mount. You will appreciate the higher power when trying to hit small targets at great range.

JMHO.
Mark

You will need about 28-30 MOA of UP elevation to shoot to !K on a cold day at sea level. You can use JBM

JBM - Calculations - Trajectory

You need to remember two things:
1. Without a slanted base or Burris Signature rings with inserts only about half of the available elevation is UP. The other half is down. So you would be well advised to use a 20 MOA base.
2. Despite your belief that you are fixing to win the Powerball lottery and that the top of your rifle receiver is flat; the real truth is neither of these things are very likely to be. So do not be surprised when you find that the receiver has some slant one way or the other.

+1 for buffalobob

MOA is proportional to the distance. One moa is a little over 1" at 100 yards, One moa at 700 yards is about 7", two moa at 800 yards is about 16". Make sense?

When you buy 30mm Sign. Z rings, they come with inserts.

macv,

DO YOU MEAN THAT THEY COME WITH A SET OF DIFFERENT INSERTS TO "SLOPE" THE SCOPE TO 10, 15, 20 AND 30 DEGREES?

joseph

PS: Didn't know I had the caps locked on.

Hi, they come with 3 sets of inserts. The ones that are in the rings are of zero degrees. Then they have 2 ea. inserts of +.010 and 2 ea. of -.010. Just checked my set which I have not yet installed. Hope this helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.