How much to reduce charge when getting ejector marks?

scsims

Just as the title says, I loaded 20 or so rounds that are showing ejector marks, is there a good rule of thumb of how much to reduce the charge weight for a safe load? This load is 46 gr of Varget, would 45.5gr be enough to alleviate any signs of pressure?

Just as the title says, I loaded 20 or so rounds that are showing ejector marks, is there a good rule of thumb of how much to reduce the charge weight for a safe load? This load is 46 gr of Varget, would 45.5gr be enough to alleviate any signs of pressure?

Which cartridge, what bullet?

I'd start at one grain, then work back up in .2grain increments.

scsims,

46g is the top load for a Sierra 168g Matchking, but the bearing surface on your bullet is probably longer which is causing some higher pressures. I'd still drop 1 grain and then work back up in .2 grain increments. This will help with the pressure issue. It may or may not effect your accuracy.

Remember Accuracy trumps velocity 100% of the time. Make the rifle shoot accurately and safely.

Dan

As a Rule of thumb, when I encounter the 1st pressure sign, even slight ones, I reduce that charge by 2%, and call that absolute max, I will also research that load against verified sources. Interestingly that load I declare max often falls within .5gr of a lot of listed max loads (not always but often), some times above sometimes below.

What kind of brass are you using? Keep in mind that soft brass can lie to you and make you believe you are highly over pressure. This is one of the reasons some guys like to use Lapue or RWS brass, it's tough and of high quality. This may not be the case for you, but certainly a possibility.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.